• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Card for vista x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Francocomp

Registered
Well i recently switched up to vista x64 and realized that my belkin wireless g+ mimo usb adapter now isn't supported for 64 bit so i need a new one. I still only have a D-Link G Router but I'm looking at this one because it's backward compatible so when i get an N Router, it should supposedly work. Am i correct in stating that and do you think it's a good wireless card?

LINKSYS WUSB300N IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Draft IEEE 802.11n USB 2.0 Wireless-N Network Adapter 256-bit WEP, WPA and WPA2 Encryption Security
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124093&Tpk=WUSB300N)

Well actually never mind this card, just found out from linksys directly that they dont even support 64 bit OS's. Anybody know of any good 64 bit wireless cards?

Well preferably, but i guess as a last resort i may have to switch a couple of internals around to get the PCI adapter open.

How about this card TRENDnet TEW-424UB their support webpage does not show support for 64-bit os's but read these two reviews:

Pros: Works well, installation very easy. On 32 bit Windows PC, use included installation CD. Connected to my home network in a snap.

Cons: Windows XP 64 bit OS drivers not included, but I did find a driver that works great. See below...

Other Thoughts: This adapter uses the Realtek RTL8187B driver for XP 64 bit OS. Do a google search and you'll find it!
Pros: Works nicely right out of the box in Vista 64bit with included drivers. Vista will immediately update these drivers using Windows Update. Nice strong signal, too, from about 100 feet away.

Cons: No native XP x64 driver support however with persistence it is possible (see below).

Other Thoughts: I even got this to work in XP x64 but... wow... what a pain in the bu tt. The chipset is a Realtek 8187B but for whatever reason the x64 drivers supplied by other vendors for that chipset (Realtek doesn't officially support XP x64) wouldn't work. I finally found a single version that does work from June of 07 and then windows update even had a driver update from June of 08 that works really good.

Back