• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wiring the whole house

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
is wiring the whole house an expensive job??

mine is a typical 3 level town house with max lenght needed is about 25-35ft from the middle of 2nd floor to the very end of the 3rd floor. and 2nd floor to 1st floor alomost right direct under.

my friend told me to forget about it and get wirelessG 'cos it will cost me more than $500 for the job! but I want to transfer video files between 2 computer (mediaPVR on 2nd floor to my personal rig on 3rd floor) and I think even wireless SuperG will takes me a long time to transfer the video files! that's why I'm thinking to wire the house and us Gig network.

Using wires(cat5 100mbit) is not expensive and the speed is much greater than what a wireless network manages. Where I live premade cat5 cable costs about 1$/meter(3 feet). If you make the cable yourself it should be alot cheaper.

On top of that you don't have to worry about someone parking outside your house hacking into your network with a laptop..

DaWiper said:
Using wires(cat5 100mbit) is not expensive and the speed is much greater than what a wireless network manages. Where I live premade cat5 cable costs about 1$/meter(3 feet). If you make the cable yourself it should be alot cheaper.

On top of that you don't have to worry about someone parking outside your house hacking into your network with a laptop..
but what it is is the labor cost of wiring the house, not the cable itself......

labor cost? Don't know what people will charge where you live. But it will probably cost much.
Why not do it yourself? That would equal to free. :)

DaWiper said:
labor cost? Don't know what people will charge where you live. But it will probably cost much.
Why not do it yourself? That would equal to free. :)
I have no clue fishing wire through walls and ceiling...... and don't want to break down my house... lol....

If I lived anywhere near you I would have helped you for free, but I'm not near... Use a drill, just put a hole straight thru. Avoid drilling into electric cables and water pipes placed into you walls/ceiling...

Get a bid from an electrician, most will give you a free estimate. You might as well go with gigabit nic to if video is your thing.

I dont think wireless is good for video sharing. I got wireless and its darn slow when transfering big files, and its even 54g!, the router is close to the pc too. So I gotta use 100mbit connection which is alot faster. You can get your self some cheap 1000feet cable kit, with connectors, knipper and tester. What I would do, is drill wholes in the ground to reach each floor. Might look ugly, but you can make it look nice if you cover up the cables, or try to cut the dry walls, and get cables going from the floor directly into the drywall. I think its pretty cheap.
P.S WHy dont you move the computers you use to share files between close to each other, or use a external hard drive.
Thanks

air return ducts + plenium cat cable = good stuff :D just drill a hole through a golf ball, put an eye bolt in there and run a string on it. throw it down the return to the next floor and run your cable through there.

Xenocide said:
air return ducts + plenium cat cable = good stuff :D
No, no, no. 60 years of such shortsighted installations on a house add up to an unworkable tangle people like me will charge the homeowner dearly to diffuse and clean up before the intended work can even start. These quick fixes bomb the future occupants with costs they don't deserve. Good luck even finding one guy who can tackle accumulated problems running through half a dozen trades.

LandShark. DIY. Go for it. Just please please understand your son and mine will be opening that wall again to put in microwave heatpipes or fluidoptics or just a closet door - look ahead, because somebody, someday, will be looking back.

A typical installation would be 'round and 'round the exterior walls (a lot of cablevision and telephone was done that way), just popping through directly where it's wanted. If you've got a ladder you can do it. Easy to change that stuff or tear it off when obsolete. :thup:

I'm no fan of wireless. The technology needs maturing. It's only popular because it requires no skill or thought. Who really needs to roam around the house while typing? :confused:

My friend who worked for a place that wired houses estimates in the $300-500 range if you had someone do it entirely themselves. He says you might have problems finding someone to do it though because most companies only like to do big jobs. The best way is to get a network savvy friend, and have him help you. Slip him a $20 and buy him dinner afterwards. Lol.

We charge $65/man hr. for 'remodel' work less than 7k feet.
New work (ie studs exposed) is $55/man hr for work less than 5k feet.

Most of the jobs we do are new construction at 20k+ feet.

Take your time, and map out the floors of the residence. In general, if we must cut open a wall we will do so inside a closet and run sleeves inside the wall (usually 1.5"). I would avoid running any cable on the exterior of the residence. If you do so, you must use cable that is outdoor rated, but imho cables on the exterior walls look like crap.

MVC-638S.JPG

MVC-650F.JPG

MVC-645F.JPG

We charge $65/hr for old work, and $55/hr new work. So that is the same as Druid.

Price increase is due to extra time it takes to fish wiring. Sometimes its cake, others, oh boy...... break out the checkbook.

If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, go for it. Just do a lot of research on the matter before you dig in. Carefully plan out where you want the outlets and the CWP or central wiring pannel. Also, feel free to ask any questions. Better to ask before how to do it, rather than how to fix it.

My parents built a house, and had the electrician (through the builder) network the house (not allowed to hire any outside contractors to do work on the house until the house was completely built). We wanted cat5e, we got cat5. It cost us about $300 to have the whole house done (and this was before drywall was installed, which made the job so easy). The wires all met downstairs next to the breakers, and each separate cable went up the walls into each room.

If you are going to do it, I recommend against having an electrician do it if you think it's possible to do it yourself. But do it the right way. When you sell the house, you don't want to de-feed all the wires from the ducts, nor do you want to leave holes in the floor or wires hanging out of vents.

If you do it yourself, it's going to be impossible to do it the right way without a spool of cable and your own crimper. You can get the stuff dirt cheap in large quantities, and the crimper costs a bit, but it's well worth the ability to customize the lengths of your cables.

You can get wire guns / feeders which should help you out a bit as well.

Ddruid_SMP said:
imho cables on the exterior walls look like crap.
Agreed! Most anyone can do it over a weekend though, and it's reversible (like that's going to happen).

Nice, future-friendly work, Ddruid_SMP.

I'm about to take the plunge and wire my house with CAT 5 for my network.

I have just bought a 16 port patch panel for my attic and x3 2 port sockets for my walls. I also got a 100mb switch/router. All this is from eBay for next to nothing, <$50.

Only thing i need now is some CAT 5 cable. They sell it in bulk on eBay, you can get around 250ft, a crimp tool and a tester for only $35. Not bad!

I have no experience in dropping cables, but I downloaded this manual for laying and dropping cables in your house and walls.

By the way, if you plan on using gigabit ethernet, you'll need CAT5e, CAT5 only supports 100mb/s.

;)

Home Depot usually has some very good prices on bulk Cat5e. I bought my spool off of ebay but with shipping I could have gotten at Home Depot for about the same price with no waiting, I love having a 1000' spool of wire around as its easy to make the patch cables any length you need.

When I first moved into this current house about 2 and a half years ago, I wanted to network everything. I got a 1000ft box of cable from home depot, as well as a whole bunch of wall plates. I also got a 24 port patch panel off ebay. I wired 14 runs throughout my house, more or less 1-2 to each room covering three floors. At the time I had an unfinished basement, which made things really easy. All runs on the top floor were put in the walls, where they then ran up into the attic, then ran down through a wall into a small cupboard at the top of my stairs to terminate. Main floor runs were put into the wall, then fished down into the basement where they were ran through the rafters and up into a cold air return vent which went all the way to the top floor. From there, they kept going though the wall into the attic. Basement was done the same way, running it through the cold air return once it was studded.

The job looks really professional as all the connections are in-wall, no visible wires. The entire project cost be probably $200cad since I did all the work myself.

If you want to do it yourself, try to figure out the easiest way to run wires in the first place. Drop-down celings in basements are great as well as attics. For the most part, to run lines from basements to 2nd floors, the easiest way seems to be cold air returns, but from what I'm reading, some people don't like that. Running cables through heat registers is not a very good idea. Although I have seen it done, I wouldn't suggest it. Outside runs can work if you have the proper cable, but if you do go that route, pick places that aren't really visible.

Make sure you pick a good spot to terminate the cables. Somewhere that's centralized to limit cable runs, but that's also out of the way. I've seen people terminate near the breaker box of a house. That's not a bad idea as it keeps all utilities like power, phone, internet, and cable together. Personally I'm not too big of a fan of running network cable really close to power lines so I usually chose to put them somewhere else, but that's just me. In my house, there jsut happened to be a built-in cabinet at the top of the stairs on the top floor. It made an ideal place, as it was a dead space for anything else, and was right between my room, and one of our offices, the two main rooms needing connections.

I hope this helps. Installing a network can be really cheap if you do it yourself. I think that wireless is not a very good choice for networking. Agreed, it is easier, but It's also slower, can be less secure, and will cost you more in hardware than a DIY cable install. Plus, you can't say that your house is fully networked :)

If your going to do it yourself, also buy the best cable you can find/ afford. The extra insulation around the twisted pairs makes it a little more forgiving to install for the DIYer especially if your running it near electrical wires. Its really not that hard. Planning everything out first helps. Its low voltage wire so you really cant cause that much harm except for the holes you put in walls.

Back