• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wiring the whole house

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't wait untill I build my own house...
I am going to wait untill i'm good and rich so I can build it like a bunker :p

Am I the only one here that thinks that totally networking your whole house/electrical/cable (new construction) is actually FUN? I sure as hell do :p

EDIT - I wonder if there is any kind of networking building code? There is building code for power and phone and everything else... but I wonder about networking? Definatelly don't want an inspector telling you that you have to rip everything out because of a dumb little thing that doesn't pass code :p

Last edited:
I have networked my whole house. Each room has two network jacks all leading into a "server Closet" downstairs (actually an abandoned Heater closet with a steel liner under the wallboard) one jack is for internet connections, the other is for dedicated network video. A very, very cool setup. It all cost me less than $300. to accomplish. I don't have to ever open the closet again if I don't wish, as all computers there are connected to my main system by remote desktop software. All network cables are routed to the exterior of the house through a 2" copper Freon Return line (abandoned and a little large I know, but I didn't install the Heater/cooler). from the exterior exit point all cables were run under the siding to each room. All clean and out of sight!. Better than the local cable company did installing their cable for TV.

Annoyingrob said:
terminate near the breaker box of a house... keeps all utilities like power, phone, internet, and cable together.

In a decade when the Next Thing comes, most likely it'll get strung beside existing telephone or cable lines. Therefore, it should enter the house where they do. I try to plan for that future Thing, leaving space for additional enclosures and wire runs. I even pre-drill the holes for It when putting in CAT5, and stuff the empty holes with fibreglass insulation (a fire precaution). Then I leave a slew of photos detailing this soon-to-be-buried work, with the homeowner (preferably in an envelope by the main panel).

Best thing for future proofing installs is using conduit. I know carlon now makes low voltage conduit. Might have to check with a parts house on that, as home sleepot wont carry it. They carry other types but not for what we need. It might be also known as smurf tube.

As said before, buy the best cable you can afford. If you know an electrician maybe see if he can hook you up. We currently have picked Commscope cable for our cabling needs. They make the Ultra II cat5e cable that is spec'd to 350MHz so it has enough headroom for gigaE. They also make an outdoor variant of the stuff, that is flood filled with icky-pic jelly. This stuff is direct bury cable, so you just dig an 18" trench and drop in the wire and fill it back and you are set.

For voice, cat3 or 5 is fine. Doesnt need to be the best of the best. Voice can run over some pretty shotty wire, so as long as it is cat3 its ok.

You need to run fiber optic too. It may be the one thats needed for the next generation. Dont worry about connecting it tho just have it there. Phone, Cable, Network and Fiber Optic.

I have never even seen fiber optic cable for sale (as in use for networking).
I thought that the fiber connections that you could get in some places just came into a modem and it went over to normal gigabit ethernet?

http://www.uniprisesolutions.com/docs/Ultra_Home_Brochure.pdf

It exists. I have seen the stuff before. Thick cables, however you can get just fiber as well.

http://www.uniprisesolutions.com/html/prod_res_uhfiber.shtml

Fiber can be used in instances such as home theater links as well, so its not limited. It is used in Benz's too for the Bose audio system on the higher end cars from the company.
Fiber used in homes is single mode. These are driven by LED's or lower power laser diodes, and the fiber is actually plastic rather than glass. Glass is typically used for long haul, as it is driven with higher wattage lasers.

Just my input here. You can do it yourself or not. I would avoid outside walls if you can. While they can be fished, they are much more difficult. Outside walls are insulated and interior walls are generally not. If you do exterior walls yourself, count on more time. If you hire someone to do the exterior walls, count on more $$$.

If you do go through the air ducts, you MUST use plenum. If not, you WILL have to remove it before you can sell the house.

Keep data 1 foot away from power. If you must cross a power line, do so at 90 degree angle. Stay 1 foot away from florencent lights too. No kinks in the line. (This is true for TV too). Cat 5e is fine for gigabit but cat 6 is better.

That's all that I can think of for now. Even if you hire it done, it's good to know what's up so they don't 'take' you for a ride.

Back