• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robmoo

I'm trying to get my media server to sleep and wake when another PC needs to access its drives. My media PC has a P867h-m le MB. When I enable the wake on magic packet only it won't wake up. With the wake on magic packet only disabled the darn thing won't stay a asleep. I've gone in to the cmd line and the event viewer to identify what is waking the pc and it just says unknown source. Since the magic packet seems to be making a difference I gather having 2 pc's with drives networked from my HTPC is what is waking the HTPC even though I'm not actively accessing its content. My goal is to build a Mini-ITX PC for my media center and to use my current HTPC as a server/nas. If I can't get the WOL thing ironed out I don't think this will work. It be a shame to spend money on a NAS when my HTPC has better hardware. Any ideas on what I could try?

From what I've been reading WOL is incredibly difficult to pull off successfully and is a pain in the butt.

Anyone taken an aging PC and made a NAS or server?

I'm wondering if I need to under clock the CPU or if I just need to make sure all the power saving features are enabled.

Back