• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wondering how to get the best internet performance without plugging directly in.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

Recently moved out to fathers house, The cable box and modem are in the living room. there is no way I can direct connect. The speeds are 100 down and 25 up, pretty solid. But this netgear card just gives me 25 more ping than everyone i know, its single band, just all I had.

How Do i go about getting direct plug in speeds, without running a 50ft cable up the stairs? what are my options. I can have something near the box and router, just not a long cable. Please give me magic. what do I need on each end, if thats the case? Ive never touched wireless. this is stressful.

Would anyone be willing to link me the best budget adapter that will do the job properly? I dont need anything fancy but I would like it to work. cheap is the word. 1 pc. I play competitive CSGO

Is there a phone jack in each room? In that case, you can get vastly better performance modding the Homeplugs to run over the phone line as opposed to using them as-is.

Would anyone be willing to link me the best budget adapter that will do the job properly? I dont need anything fancy but I would like it to work. cheap is the word. 1 pc. I play competitive CSGO

I would not want a cheap PLA. It would be hardly any better then wireless. I did some work on a server that was using a cheap PLA and t drop 10-15ms pings over cat7. better PLA don't have as much ping or packet loss.

Some things that will help.

Put the modem on the fist cable splitter, if you have more then one.
Use a better splitter that has less noise/loss.
Put a short shielded cat7 cable between the modem and router.
Update the firmware on the modem/router.
If your ISP leases/rents you the modem/router ask for a new one (it that one have is old)

Last edited:
What router do you own? You may see better performance with a good router/adapter card vs a power line adapter.

What router do you own? You may see better performance with a good router/adapter card vs a power line adapter.

I second this.

A good low cost power line adapter kit may cost 50$ and a good router/wifi card would cost about that much if you shop around.
That and the better router would benefit everyone.

I have a higher end modem and router, with my old crappy laptop I get around 3-4ms pings to the router. I get 30ms pings to overclockers.com
with a cat7 cable I get about 1ms pings to the router and about 28ms pings to overclockers.com.

What exact netgear card? Worth it to know the router and its wifi capabilities as well.

Back