• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working DDR3-2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As an update, I was not able to get even 6 gb to run at 2000 mhz while overclocking this cpu. Perhaps I would have succeeded if I ran a higher QPI voltage but I was hesitant, because it was a customers computer and I did not want to fry any components. Probably your best bet is to see what the g skill guy recommends.

Well, I see it's impossible to get this memory stable running at its rated speed. Will running my CPU at 3.6 Ghz and DDR3-1900 shorten my system's lifecycle?

anything that is ran over the manufacturer specs is gonna most likely shorten the life of it somewhat, just depends on how much from the original specs its set at. But it probably wont affect the lifespan that much, you're still gonna have years with it im sure.

Well, isn't overclocking 10% CPU too dangerous? It is an overclocking CPU.

Hey wanna_buy,

If you run the RAM under its listed speed, and mildly OC the CPU I don't see how it would affect its lifespan adversely. Going from 2.9 to 3.6 isn't that far of a jump.. Just follow the over clocking guides and get your voltages set properly so you aren't needlessly over volting for that clock speed and you should be golden!

*edit* These CPU's apparently hit 3.6 with turbo enabled...

With many of the i* CPUS being so over clocking friendly, You could probably get to 4ghz without any drastic voltage changes. Make sure you have a nice aftermarket cooler though!

Last edited:
Speed doesn't kill, voltage does. Crank the freq as high as it will go w/ voltages you are comfortable with. And try to keep temps in check. If you leave voltages on Auto, and crank the speed keep in mind that the board will automatically increase voltages...not good. Set things manually.

You can OC 20-30% on a lot of Intel chips using stock vcore or less. In this situation you are probably going to have a chip that lasts about the same as a stock chip assuming the same work load.

Even w/ high voltages, high clocks, and 24/7 intensive work-loads these chips will still last well past there useful lifetime. And since you have a K processor it should be covered under warranty even if you OC, so have some fun!

Back