• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it to get Corsair Dominator Memory Airflow Fan for my Crucial Tracers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedPhoenix

Registered
Just got my Tracers back from RMA. Tested them under prime95, work great. Took them out of my test machine and WOW, do they get really hot or what.

Would getting one of those Corsair Dominator Memory Airflow Fan's be effective for this memory or should I look elsewhere?

What are you running your RAM at? What Voltage? What speed? What timings? What kinda air flow do you already have in your PC?

I have a 92mm, 90cfm fan blowing directly onto my ram because i'm running it at 2.2v.

The Dominator airflow fans have alot of clearance between them and the ram because they are made for much taller sticks with heatsinks. If you have bad airflow in your case, you might want to fix that first. If you still wanna get a RAM cooler, find a Coolit Ram cooler. If the fan isn't strong enough, replace it.

And as always, the more info you can put in your initial thread post, the better.

Try to get more air coming in than going out too. You have a really nice and clean WCing loop going on. Even if you don't want too many fans, try to get some high CFM ones.

I've read that the XTC cooler airflow is really restricted by the small holes in the metal grill. I just used some velcro "dots" to fix a 92mm, 90cfm fan to my ram. You can get a much better fan for cheaper than an attachable fan mount.

I was going for the "clean" look. You you know that is.

I may be able to make a bracket of some sort to attach a fan. Just trying to do it cleanly.

The attachable ones seemed like a really good idea.

edit

Never mind, I JUST figured out a way to mount them!

Last edited:
Airflow is not the problem, it's that the RAM needs direct cooling on it.

Corsair or the OCZ RAM coolers would be fine.

Alright well I am trying something different. Ill post it if it turns out well. If not I will just get the premade one.

You should post if it doesn't turn out well too, that way if someone else is having the same idea [or does in the future] they might skip it for something better ;)

i just got a AMD heatsink fan tied onto my ram works great!

i had the ocz cooler, i liked it, but i couldnt use it on my machine being my memory slots and my VGA card pretty much butt up against each other.

He has it so cold air is coming in from both sides and being sucked out the top with the rest of the heat. And his PSU is isolated and cooled in the lower part. Not a bad idea.

I think this kinda setup might be an exception to the "rear exhaust only" rule.

I agree I have teh same RAM and they are smoking. RAM is at 2.2v and they seem attached to that voltage so no deviation for me. I have the Dominators in the other rig so I may move that fan....Maybe......Case I have now has a pitted side panle that had a bad (well noisy) fan that I pitched. Going to get a new 80mm this weekend and see if that cools them down even a bit.

Get a 2 80x15mm fans. Make a bracket. Much cheaper and alot less noise.

aww you found out what I was going to do lol. Picked up 2 Vantec Stealths for under $10 for the pair - new. Should be good with my quiet system. I just have to find decent size M3 bolts or studs.

That's cute. I find a tiny bit of good velcro works. GOOD velcro. Make sure or else you could lose a video card.

Attachments

• IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:
Back