• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth the wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

Ok so my question is I hear about the 88x chipset for am3 (though not a lot of details) and about the upcoming 945 and 955 pII. Do you think it would be worth the wait for those? I am really close to buying an am3 setup with a 720 so I could upgrade to a 955 when they hit but I wouldn't want to get a whole new mb again so I guess the real question is...

is this 88x chipset going to be the bee's knees and should I wait to get it?

I could be wrong, but I don't see a huge difference between 880G and 790GX.
Slightly faster onboard video, that's about all I can see.
There is so little information available.

There is always the possibility that there are errata fixes and performance optimizations
that weren't glamourous enough to make it into the official marketing release, though, so
if you can wait, you can either have the choice of a newer platform at today's 790GX
price, or get a 790GX board that's been reduced for quicker sale.

I wouldn't mind spending the money right now on a 790fx because I would get to use it over the next couple months. If you always wait for everything there will always be something new and better on the horizon and the only thing you will end up with is absolutely nothing.

That being said onboard graphics are not going to be my first priority. It's probably not even in the middle of the priorities at all, more like tail end.

I think I am just going to go ahead and order. I am sure I will regret it a little bit on some level but like I said before if I listened to that part I would never end up with anything!

Back