• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonman03

Hey,

I have an AMD x2 5000+ black edition currently, overclocked to about 3.2 ghz. Lets say I have some extra cash, (about 400 to spend), what would be best as far as Intel CPU/compatible motherboard?
Thanks.

www.custompctalk.com

+1

I have two E8400 chips and P35 based boards from Abit and they both crank at 4.0Ghz(one much nicer than the other) But if I were to start over, with what I know now, I'd have saved a bit more cash and sprung for a P45 board.

E8500s are now $199 and E8400s are supposed to be about $165 though they haven't fully dropped yet.

Personally I don't think either would be that much of an upgrade vs your current X2 @ 3.2ghz, sure it would be faster but not really noticeable in most scenarios. I'd wait for something to offer more of a substantial upgrade, possibly better video card if your into gaming or a quad if your into crunching etc.

i would be interested in seeing some benches out of the two...

i also have a black edition 5000+ at 3.2ghz...

i would be willing to run some tests if someone with an e8400 or e8500 would like to do the same, and we could compare.

There are many reviews and articles comparing CPUs out there, but I could provide a few comparisons if you like, after all if you take out 1 of your 8800GTs we have very comparible systems.

Back