• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like to get some more boints..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Not sure what I should use to get them though.
I have craploads of DDR3 RAM now, I have a 3570K, i5-2300, FX 6300, 1090t and a haswell Pentium. I have a 550ti, GT420, 7850 and a 6850 GPU wise.
I have a board and cooler for everything I think, so all I'd need is a HDD and some of that RAM.

But I don't know what rig to use. The 3570K OC's like crap, and i don't have cold for the FX 6300 or 1900t. Can't OC that haswell (no OC board) so that leaves my favorite CPU the 2300??

It's not popular on hwbot so maybe that's good?
What benches should i be looking at running? HWbot Prime? 3dmark03?

I figured since I'm playing with the 1090t and I'll have a free case soon I might as well try some tweaking. :)

Win7 is fine and you don't need key to install it for benching. XP is better for SuperPi, Pifast and old 3DMarks. Everything else works better on Win7 x64.
You have a lot of hardware worth something. Just matter to use it right. If you have any questions then simply ask and someone will help you in tweaks etc.

Win7 is fine and you don't need key to install it for benching. XP is better for SuperPi, Pifast and old 3DMarks. Everything else works better on Win7 x64.
You have a lot of hardware worth something. Just matter to use it right. If you have any questions then simply ask and someone will help you in tweaks etc.

Oh! I thought XP was just better in every bench vs Win7.
I guess all that's left is to assemble a rig to bench.

Would a real cheap SSD help alot for benches or no?

Aside from the PCMark benches they don't help with the score but the time saved due to the quicker boot times benching makes them worth it.

The 3570K overclocks like crap? Any particular reason why you say that b/c I never heard of such a thing unless your using a stock cooler in a hot room with a crappy board.

The 3570K overclocks like crap? Any particular reason why you say that b/c I never heard of such a thing unless your using a stock cooler in a hot room with a crappy board.
NH-D14.

I was unable to get 4.4Ghz stable. WHEA errors galore. IIRC only 4.2Ghz was stable.
It was because of that 3570K I switched to AMD.

It IS entirely possible that I was just too inexperienced to overclock it properly. That 3570K is currently installed in my ASUS P8Z77-V PRO...

I see that you are gonna get a cheap ssd which is a great idea because you do not want to be pushing your system with you main OS as they get easily corrupted.

Last edited:
I see that you are gonna get a cheap add which is a great idea because you do not want to be pushing your system with you main OS as they get easily corrupted.
Been there, done that will never do it again!!!
Silent corruption sucks!!

What size of SSD do you guys use? 60Gb?

I just buy them off of eBay as I find one that is a great price I normally target 60 - 120 gigs

NH-D14.

I was unable to get 4.4Ghz stable. WHEA errors galore. IIRC only 4.2Ghz was stable.
It was because of that 3570K I switched to AMD.

It IS entirely possible that I was just too inexperienced to overclock it properly. That 3570K is currently installed in my ASUS P8Z77-V PRO...

When benching stable is as long as it takes to run the bench and get a SS. PERIOD

When benching stable is as long as it takes to run the bench and get a SS. PERIOD
Well then that 3570K sure has that down pat!!

Hunting for an SSD now, but I will most likely just buy one when I buy a GPU for a friend and a 480Gb SSD for myself.

Not sure what I should use to get them though.
I have craploads of DDR3 RAM now, I have a 3570K, i5-2300, FX 6300, 1090t and a haswell Pentium. I have a 550ti, GT420, 7850 and a 6850 GPU wise.
I have a board and cooler for everything I think, so all I'd need is a HDD and some of that RAM.

But I don't know what rig to use. The 3570K OC's like crap, and i don't have cold for the FX 6300 or 1900t. Can't OC that haswell (no OC board) so that leaves my favorite CPU the 2300??

It's not popular on hwbot so maybe that's good?
What benches should i be looking at running? HWbot Prime? 3dmark03?

I figured since I'm playing with the 1090t and I'll have a free case soon I might as well try some tweaking. :)

Well, having lots of memory on hand is a nice thing. Gives you the chance of having at least one set being good for overclocking.

Are you wanting to only benchmark what you have on hand now, or were you wanting to get more into benching in general?

Thought I'd ask because you generally in my experience have to have loads of cheap-ish hardware on hand if you want to gain any serious amount of points. That's if your using ambient cooling like air, an AIO liquid cooler, or custom water cooling anyway, since sub-zero cooled submissions tend to monopolize most of the top submissions.

If it's less popular hardware with less submissions it tends to make it easier to get more points if you're running ambient cooling.

This is pretty much the current list of benches I run for CPU's: CPU Frequency, PiFast, SuperPi 1M, SuperPi 32M, wPrime 32M, wPrime 1024M, Intel XTU (Intel ONLY, LGA1155 Sandy Bridge CPU's or newer), Cinebench R11.5 x64 (64-bit version typically gives higher scores), Cinebench R15 x64 (64-bit version typically gives higher scores), GPUPI for CPU 100M, GPUPI for CPU 1B, HWBOT Prime. Run them all. Cinebench R11.5 and R15, GPUPI 100M and 1B, HWBOT Prime, and XTU tend to net more points if you're running ambient cooling since they are newer benchmarks (unless you're benching a multiplier-locked Intel CPU, in which case there isn't much difference in cooling), nearly all of the other ones tend to be dominated by sub-zero cooling submissions. This is at least true for most older hardware anyway.

After looking, I'd say benchmark the 2300, it's missing submissions for several benchmarks so running it will help the team as well as you.

Oh! I thought XP was just better in every bench vs Win7.
I guess all that's left is to assemble a rig to bench.

Would a real cheap SSD help a lot for benches or no?

I run Win 7 x64 pretty much exclusively for my benching/testing OS. Mainly because it's much quicker to load than XP most of the time, and it has less issues with having to search for drivers after loading the OS (XP was designed in 2002, so it doesn't have drivers for a lot of newer motherboards). It runs well enough in most benches that I don't worry about the small percentage in benchmark scores that I'm missing out on for those benches that run better on XP or Vista, unless I'm in a competition with another bencher or another team (Team Cup, etc).

Not really. Only seems to be better for SuperPi and wPrime from my experience.

Been there, done that will never do it again!!!
Silent corruption sucks!!

What size of SSD do you guys use? 60Gb?
60GB-128GB, really don't need much more than that unless you're using the PC for more than just benchmarking (gaming, HTPC usage, etc). I'd say minimum of 60GB though, as OS installation tends to take up 30-40GB in my experience with Win7 x64 for a full load from an install disk. So, if you only got a 30GB SSD you wouldn't really have room to install the benchmarks as well.

Well, having lots of memory on hand is a nice thing. Gives you the chance of having at least one set being good for overclocking.

Are you wanting to only benchmark what you have on hand now, or were you wanting to get more into benching in general?

Thought I'd ask because you generally in my experience have to have loads of cheap-ish hardware on hand if you want to gain any serious amount of points. That's if your using ambient cooling like air, an AIO liquid cooler, or custom water cooling anyway, since sub-zero cooled submissions tend to monopolize most of the top submissions.

If it's less popular hardware with less submissions it tends to make it easier to get more points if you're running ambient cooling.

This is pretty much the current list of benches I run for CPU's: CPU Frequency, PiFast, SuperPi 1M, SuperPi 32M, wPrime 32M, wPrime 1024M, Intel XTU (Intel ONLY, LGA1155 Sandy Bridge CPU's or newer), Cinebench R11.5 x64 (64-bit version typically gives higher scores), Cinebench R15 x64 (64-bit version typically gives higher scores), GPUPI for CPU 100M, GPUPI for CPU 1B, HWBOT Prime. Run them all. Cinebench R11.5 and R15, GPUPI 100M and 1B, HWBOT Prime, and XTU tend to net more points if you're running ambient cooling since they are newer benchmarks (unless you're benching a multiplier-locked Intel CPU, in which case there isn't much difference in cooling), nearly all of the other ones tend to be dominated by sub-zero cooling submissions. This is at least true for most older hardware anyway.

After looking, I'd say benchmark the 2300, it's missing submissions for several benchmarks so running it will help the team as well as you.

I run Win 7 x64 pretty much exclusively for my benching/testing OS. Mainly because it's much quicker to load than XP most of the time, and it has less issues with having to search for drivers after loading the OS (XP was designed in 2002, so it doesn't have drivers for a lot of newer motherboards). It runs well enough in most benches that I don't worry about the small percentage in benchmark scores that I'm missing out on for those benches that run better on XP or Vista, unless I'm in a competition with another bencher or another team (Team Cup, etc).

Not really. Only seems to be better for SuperPi and wPrime from my experience.

60GB-128GB, really don't need much more than that unless you're using the PC for more than just benchmarking (gaming, HTPC usage, etc). I'd say minimum of 60GB though, as OS installation tends to take up 30-40GB in my experience with Win7 x64 for a full load from an install disk. So, if you only got a 30GB SSD you wouldn't really have room to install the benchmarks as well.

I would like to venture into benching sometime yes. When that time will come is not known. The electricity bill is already $300+/month and I don't have any place to setup a benching station. Another issue is no access to LN2 or DICE, so chilled water is all I have..

So the i5 2300 is the best bet since it's not popular. Makes sense, and I know that chip loves high BCLK. I'd like to try and push 110BCLK, but for that I'll have to use a HDD since SSD's don't like the BCLK that high.

CPU benches are all I can run, that and memory benches. The GTX 780 I own is maxed out in terms of voltage and overclock..
And Win7x64. Should that be Ultimate or Home? Does it matter?

I'll also be aiming for a 60Gb SSD.

Thanks for the post as well. Lots of info! :thup:

If the motherboard has a Asmedia or marvel "extra" SATA controller use that for higher FSB range

Back