• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would this Video card work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compn00b101

Registered
After an extended break from gaming I decided to jump into Elite: Dangerous. really cool space sim. anyways the game runs great but I would like to play on maxed out settings. was thinking of upgrading my Card but I'm not sure if i have the right connector or enough power to run this card? :http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZXOW80/ref=psdc_284822_t2_B00I0D81OG

also I just started researching cards. So if there's a better one, feel free to point me in the right direction. Looking to spend in the $200 range and I'm partial towards AMD. Thank you for any help! :D My rigs in the sig

So after a few days of research I realized that I don't have the power to run the current generation of cards. Especially the Cards that would give me a boost in FPS. 750w is the minimum requirement for the AMD R9 280 and up cards, which is BS. So instead of getting more efficient Cards requiring less and less power....we get these power suckers, that can heat a small home. WTF man. Im getting 60+ FPS in Elite Dangerous with the current settings and setup, so I guess I'm good. Good luck with your 1000w systems that are burning holes in the Ozone and leaving a carbon footprints the size Milwaukee.

That is their overrated suggestion which accounts for the junk psus on the market. The 280x is a 250w card at full tilt. Your psu will handle it with the rig in your sig... another way to think about it is that your current 6970 is ~250w already.

If you want efficiency, for the moment, you need to pay for it. Nvidia's new cards, the 970 and 980, are 150 and 165w respectively. AMD is releasing new cards within 2 months, perhaps they will catch up, but if rumors are to be believed, it's not looking good.

As far as overall efficiemcy, video cards have improved. 250w has been the high end of power use for the past couple of generations and speed of the cards has improved quite a bit since that tiMe.

on the carbon thing, not since 1988, actually read the ipcc full report, not just somebodys thoughts on it.
and the cards have gotten better on the same wattage and will now start to get better with lower wattage, so now it's you turn to put up and go get a 970 and ditch that dino juice sucking pig of a card and crank the settings up to high and join us folks that use a top line 1600 watt psu that is "green", mine is an evga 1600 p2, much cleaner than my 325 horse, black smoke belching, turbocharged, 1.4 litre 4 cyl, lancia beta.

So after a few days of research I realized that I don't have the power to run the current generation of cards. Especially the Cards that would give me a boost in FPS. 750w is the minimum requirement for the AMD R9 280 and up cards, which is BS. So instead of getting more efficient Cards requiring less and less power....we get these power suckers, that can heat a small home. WTF man. Im getting 60+ FPS in Elite Dangerous with the current settings and setup, so I guess I'm good. Good luck with your 1000w systems that are burning holes in the Ozone and leaving a carbon footprints the size Milwaukee.

my friend you are misinformed. You said yourself you are new to this. Instead of criticizing us for using imaginary power hungry cards that destroy the world maybe you should try to be informed instead of opinionated.

As others have stated you don't NEED that much power its just a value. I ran 2 r9 290 Powercolor PCS+ on my 850w PSU

Use this. It was accurate for me. If you need more proof ask around. instead of criticizing others.
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Guys, Thank you so much for your responses! I know its hard to tell through message boards but I was being humorous. lame attempt, I know... but I didn't mean offend anyone. So you guys really think I can run a R9 290? I might just wait for the new cards to come out, to see the power requirements and maybe hope for an price drop on the R9 290. And Batpimp, thanks for the link! I'm gonna use it right now!

everytime i wait for the next best thing I get a pocketful of misery, jump to a 970 now, it is cheap, powerful, current.
if you look at it in the overclocktagon it out runs a titan.
if you're going to wait, wait till after the release and see how they do.

You could probably run a 290 fine, but a 600W ModXStream's gotta be getting up there in years so I wouldn't count on it outputting the same amount of power it was originally designed for at this point. Besides that, your CPU is pretty long in the tooth so you're not going to see the same gains from a 290 or a 970 that you would with a newer chip. Worst-case you could carry a newer videocard over to a new PC at least, and you'd get some performance gains from a videocard upgrade in the meantime.

I'd wait for the sales coming next week. Many e-tailers will have some sort of discount on components. Check newegg, etc.

I'm the r9 290 ' biggest fan right now.

An old 600w psu is likely cause for trouble. I would hesitate putting one in your rig unfortunately. The 280x is much superior to the 6970 though, and a much better match for your system

Back