• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would you wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zabomb4163

If you were in the market for a new video card, would you wait for ATI to release its .13 architecture in mass before buying? or would you buy somthing now.

if you think its a good idea to postpone till later in the summer---how much do you think prices will fall.

Just look at it this way...

Will waiting bother you? Do you need the new video card right now?

If you answer yes to either of those, buy now...if you answered no to both, the go ahead and wait.

I would wait. Right now we are in the hump of the card cycles for NV and ATI. When the R400 and NV40 come out there *should* be a big jump in performance. Get in on one of those cards when it is relatively new and you will have a top of the line card for a year. Unless the hump cards are something special, which is unlikely since they are always the original release cards tweaked a bit.

So I would wait if you can, but this is just my opnion, but I think getting a card at the begining of a cycle is the best way to go.

heh right now thier just upgrading from their previous cards, for instance the 9700 pro and the 9800 pro, it's not much of a difference and the price is pretty hefty, i would wait til something like oc noob stated as the r400 and nv40 cores come a long and when they are released for testing see how they do and make your decision

zabomb4163 said:
If you were in the market for a new video card, would you wait for ATI to release its .13 architecture in mass before buying? or would you buy somthing now.

if you think its a good idea to postpone till later in the summer---how much do you think prices will fall.

its the never ending cycle of new computer electronics

by the time you wait to get a new card, there will be another one comming out, so i mean its really just based on how bad you need a new card right now

im like muhWOW
ouch dog man im like soo spanish sucks
cuz i was like taking a test all day and it was muhHARD
and then skeelletor signed my yearbook it was sweet, and yes skelletor did sign my yearbook im not ****ting you

when do you think ati's new generation of cards will be released. OC NOOB what you said is exactly what was in my mind. it looks like the new generation will do well - 9600 as a fine example

I have always found waiting a little dubious in computers...take the NV40 / R400 - you have waited that long and already as it comes to buy theres talk of the NV45, R450...you gonna wait again.

Its always a hard choice, as someone said earlier getting at the beginning of the cycle will destress this as the more you leave buying the closer the next release and news of how amazing it will be would be all over

I would have to base the decision on what I was going from...if I had a Ti4600 or something getting on in life but still can perform then yes I would probably wait until the next big thing arrives...however if I had a TNT2 and just can no longer stand low framerates on low details then im afraid the wait would be out of the question

For me, Id wait till the price drops below $150 USD. And then get a price quote on the next three products. You know... dont want to pay to much.

Progressive Customer. :D

The question I want to know is what is your current graphics card? Are you a hardcore gamer that likes to run at ultra high res (1280 X 1024 X 32 and above) and turn on all of the eye candy, or are you happy with 1024 X 768 X 32 with some AA and AF? If you like to play games at ultra high everything :D, do you play the latest games?

If your a gamer like me that likes to turn on everything and run everything to high settings and play the latest games then upgrading your graphics card if it is more than a year old is worth it. That is why I upgraded from my Ti4600 to the 9800 Pro. I've become spoiled and can't play a game below 1280 X 1024 X 32 resolution and like to turn up the AA and AF as much as possible and the move from the Ti4600 to 9800 Pro allowed me to play at 1280 X 1024 X 32 res with 4x AA and 8x AF smoothly on most of the latest games out and 6x AA and 16x AF on older games.

On the other hand, if you don't mind running at 1024 X 768 res and don't care about AA and/or AF and your graphics card is reaonably current then there is no need to upgrade.

In short, if your graphics card is doing what you want it to do for the games you like, then there is no need to upgrade and you should wait until the next gen games (Doom III, HL2) and their clones come out before you upgrade. If you want more than what your current graphics card could do then by all means upgrade it.

juliendogg said:

example of what?

I think he means its a good example of how high the R400 line on the .13 die will clock.

The R400 should be the first high end ATI card with that die size and if the 9600 clcoks to 550 mhz+ w/ stock cooling the R400 should be pretty sweet.

EDIT: Quadro 750 is like a Ti4200 right? Is that what you use for gaming?

Back