• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW! Different cooler makes a big difference!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
:shock:

Just replaced my stock cooler with the Hyper 212+, and I didn't expect a huge difference, but my load temps dropped 20C!!!

Holy.

Crap.

It's even a little warmer in my house today, enough that I'm sweating but this thing is staying super cool! I knew the stock cooler wasn't that good, but I didn't know it was a complete piece of garbage. Looks like it's time for some overclocking to bring those temps back up. :D I wouldn't want it getting too cold. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to tell you we told you so but....

LOL, glad it's working out for ya. Sounds like the 20 deg delta will be put to good use. Yeah it's still to early to be running an AC unit just yet.

As much as I've been disappointed and bashing AMD these days I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on an AMD 4100 + MB sweet combo. AMD have finally came down to earth with their pricing. I've had every AMD system since socket A, it's a hard habit to break. If I were to go with this system I'd definitely go with a Hyper EVO.

I was thinking about going with the EVO, but after reading review after review, post after post, article after article for a few weeks, I decided that it wouldn't really be worth the extra $10 for me.

Where I live it's only $5 difference. If it's better by 2-3 degrees, well that's cheaper and quieter than getting another fan for push/pull config.

Having said that, the "undervolting" and temps you and other poster here been getting have intrigue me. I'm thinking a muscular HTPC. At those temps and with good airflow I maybe able to build a super quiet system?

Where I live it's only $5 difference. If it's better by 2-3 degrees, well that's cheaper and quieter than getting another fan for push/pull config.

Having said that, the "undervolting" and temps you and other poster here been getting have intrigue me. I'm thinking a muscular HTPC. At those temps and with good airflow I maybe able to build a super quiet system?

Possibly. I was getting ~45-47C core temps at 100% load on the stock cooler even with the undervolting. The Hyper 212+ dropped it down to 27C. Now I'm overclocking and I have it at 4.2GHz at stock voltage (the 4170 made me jealous) with temps ~32-34C. I'm testing it for stability. It seems to be doing fine, but it's only been running for 15 minutes so far. :D It's no louder than it was before, but most of my noise is coming from my front intake fans anyway.

Just curious, how did you apply the thermal paste ? Did you apply a fine line along the copper heat pipes / pea sized blob in the middle of CPU / spread a thin even layer across the entire CPU ?

Wondering because I have the same HS but my temps are no where near that low! I did the copper line method (usually do the pea method) and i'm not sure if i put enough/too much.

Thanks!

Just curious, how did you apply the thermal paste ? Did you apply a fine line along the copper heat pipes / pea sized blob in the middle of CPU / spread a thin even layer across the entire CPU ?

Wondering because I have the same HS but my temps are no where near that low! I did the copper line method (usually do the pea method) and i'm not sure if i put enough/too much.

Thanks!

I put on a little bit, and used a razor blade to smooth it into the crevices between the heatpipes but not leave any excess, then I did two lines in between the innermost and outermost heatpipes about the size of a grain of rice and seated the heatsink. This picture is not the Hyper 212+, but it is pretty much exactly what I did:

HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines.jpg

You can see that there's paste in the gaps between the heatpipes and then two lines going parallel to the heatpipes.

In my personal opinion, based on using a few different sorts of fairly thin paste, too much will not cause issues heat wise. Too little will.
I use "too much" on purpose generally speaking.

For heatpipe direct touch stuff like that I put a line down each heatpipe and another line down each aluminum separator and never clear between the aluminum and the heatpipes. Once the heatsink has done through a few mount cycles there will be plenty hammed in there :D

here is a link to how thermal compound spreads

Yeah, I had watched that before I found out the best way for direct contact heatpipes. The problem is the scratches/grooves in the surface and the trenches that are the gaps between the pipes hinder how the thermal compound flows out toward the sides.

i recently spend another $120 USD investing in FANs, and a H100.

and I can't be happier with the results.

with a well designed air flow and strong enough fans, I managed to drop my temps on full load by another 5-7'C, which was awesome for my count. :)

If you Overclock, Cooling devices is WORTH investing into.

^^^ I was happy with mine for almost 5 months until it failed. Now I've changed to high end air and seem only a minimal difference so I'm never going back.

My core temps dropped about 15c with the Hyper 212 evo from the stock Intel jobby.

but an i7 860 gets hotter then an FX-4100......

I'll be switching to another chipset after my last mortgage payment is finished (July).

Who ever said anything about an FX-4100??? Is there history here I don't know about?

I'm reasonably certain my FX-8120 produces more heat than current Sandy Bridge chips, I'm not sure about their 6 cores though. My understanding is they're rather hot also.

Who ever said anything about an FX-4100??? Is there history here I don't know about?

I'm reasonably certain my FX-8120 produces more heat than current Sandy Bridge chips, I'm not sure about their 6 cores though. My understanding is they're rather hot also.

I think he was referring to me.

Ah, got ya..... Yeah, high end cooling would almost be a waste with a FX-4100. Heat output's not high enough for it to matter.

Once again it seems you are looking to start an argument because you apparently can't understand the flow of a thread.

No, I'm not. Hence the question as to whether there's history I wasn't aware of. Chill out dude

Back