• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow surprised no one thought of this sooner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nd4spdbh2 said:
hmm lets see... buy a huge cooler that doesnt cool as good as a regular ultra 120 (let alone a ultra120 x) for more money, for the sole purpose of blowing heated air (from the cpu) onto say your ram and mosfets.... when one could get an ultra 120, and 2 120 fans.. use one for the cpu cooler, and rig one to blow cool non preheated air on the ram and what not.

And if i understand ir right your saying the ultra 120 is big and would get in the way of fiddleing with your computer... hmm look at the size of the geminii im pretty sure it overhangs your ram by far... where as a ultra 120 on most boards will not.

i never say thats it's a good cooler, did I? or even if it's good at what it suppose to(cooling other components, stated that I wouldn't know)... simply put it that you can't compare a heat sink designed to use 1 fan to a heatsink that is designed to use 2.

Edit: with only 1 fan attached...O and I was talking about the geminii that is too big for enthusiasts, something we can agree on.

nd4spdbh2 said:
hmm lets see... buy a huge cooler that doesnt cool as good as a regular ultra 120 (let alone a ultra120 x) for more money, for the sole purpose of blowing heated air (from the cpu) onto say your ram and mosfets.... when one could get an ultra 120, and 2 120 fans.. use one for the cpu cooler, and rig one to blow cool non preheated air on the ram and what not.

And if i understand ir right your saying the ultra 120 is big and would get in the way of fiddleing with your computer... hmm look at the size of the geminii im pretty sure it overhangs your ram by far... where as a ultra 120 on most boards will not.

Actually, it sucks air from the CPU into the side panel of the case, judging by the quite large blue arrows in the picture on the specification page.

Kinda glad I left air cooling :)

SolidxSnake said:
Actually, it sucks air from the CPU into the side panel of the case, judging by the quite large blue arrows in the picture on the specification page.

Kinda glad I left air cooling :)

it sucks the air where it can get it from just like any other heat sink...

@ nookuwn, you could run 2 fans on that geminii and it wouldnt compare to a ultra 120 with a single fan...

yes it would be unfair to compare a heat sink with 2 fans to another with one but im saying the heatsink with one fan will outpreforme the heatsink with 2... i dont see how thats unfair.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2978

Now that we have thoroughly evaluated the GeminII there isn't much good to say about it, at least compared to the top coolers we have been testing recently. The GeminII is not a bad cooler; it is just not the great cooler we expected it to be. We have tested 21 cooler configurations in the last few months at AnandTech, and nine of those configurations overclock better than GeminII with the same CPU. That is before we even take in to account the fact that the GeminII uses two fans to, in many case, perform worse than a single 120mm fan.

ares350 said:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2978 Now that we have thoroughly evaluated the GeminII there isn't much good to say about it, at least compared to the top coolers we have been testing recently. The GeminII is not a bad cooler; it is just not the great cooler we expected it to be. We have tested 21 cooler configurations in the last few months at AnandTech, and nine of those configurations overclock better than GeminII with the same CPU. That is before we even take in to account the fact that the GeminII uses two fans to, in many case, perform worse than a single 120mm fan.

THAT **** SUMS IT UP... the cooler is a waste of money.

nd4spdbh2 said:
it sucks the air where it can get it from just like any other heat sink...

@ nookuwn, you could run 2 fans on that geminii and it wouldnt compare to a ultra 120 with a single fan...

yes it would be unfair to compare a heat sink with 2 fans to another with one but im saying the heatsink with one fan will outpreforme the heatsink with 2... i dont see how thats unfair.

this is getting know where heh, i think you don't understand my point, or u just have different ideas. O well, screw it :).

You know I don't agree with most testers out there any more. Most websites actually LIKE the GeminII, giving it high marks...and cooler temps than Anand. As for the Ultra 120 and the Ultra 120x...it wouldn't fit in my case...I had to get something that is not quite as TALL. I will test it out...I am sure it is WAY better than what I have.

I just don't get how one site gets worse temps than others. I have heard it is because on a conroe the heatsink does not sit tight and needs a back plate. Search around for the back plate being added...it dropped temps upward of 3-5C (which would put it even by Anand's standards...up with the ultra 120x)...it seems the heatsink had "wiggle" room without the backplate.

Since I have an AMD and have to use the backplate...and all the temps seem to be in the upper 30's load to lower 40's...I am sure I will be good.

Last edited:
You can't compare temps from different sources. Factors are things such as: Motherboard, CPU, Overclock, Voltage, ambient temp, case, etc.

nd4spdbh2 said:

from post #25: THAT **** SUMS IT UP... the cooler is a waste of money.

With my setup i only need one fan for the CPU, ram, NB and mosfets. The air coming out the bottom of my BigTyphoon isn't exactly hot, and the imense airflow from the delta means the added heat from the BT makes no differance. I like my set up a lot, you won't find much better complete system air cooling than what i have.

hell if i get a HR-03 plus and place it with the heatsink over the back of my 8800gts, i wouldn't need a fan on that either.

But yes i'm using a noisy delta. I think one of these heatsinks with two TFB deltas on top would be the best air cooling solution avaliable on the market just due to amount of air that would move over it. Of course thats just what i think, i cannot prove it and nor will i.

p.s sorry nd4spdbh2 for quoting you only, haha. But seriously anyone who puts a P4 HS onto a 6600GT is awesome!

Last edited:
That's overkill. There's only so much you can do with air cooling. After you reach that point, you might as well go to water or phase change. There's no reason to get something like this.

Hipcrostino said:
With my setup i only need one fan for the CPU, ram, NB and mosfets. The air coming out the bottom of my BigTyphoon isn't exactly hot, and the imense airflow from the delta means the added heat from the BT makes no differance. I like my set up a lot, you won't find much better complete system air cooling than what i have.

hell if i get a HR-03 plus and place it with the heatsink over the back of my 8800gts, i wouldn't need a fan on that either.

But yes i'm using a noisy delta. I think one of these heatsinks with two TFB deltas on top would be the best air cooling solution avaliable on the market just due to amount of air that would move over it. Of course thats just what i think, i cannot prove it and nor will i.

p.s sorry nd4spdbh2 for quoting you only, haha. But seriously anyone who puts a P4 HS onto a 6600GT is awesome!

HE HE THATS awsome... definetly sig material... I like you also have a sweetly designed air setup.

Cool air comes in front via 120mm fan in 3cd drive bays, goes over the ram and pushed through my ultra 120, then over the mosfet cooler, and out the back (the heatpipe on the mobo doesnt really work so i added a 40mm fan a while ago). As for gfx i dont have the gfx card pictured n e more i have a 8800gts but i have a 120mm exaust fan sittin right at the back side of the case pulling cool air in the back pci slots and pulling the hot exausted air from the 8800gts out of my case!
P9050118.JPG

That thing's so big that it's gravitational field might pull my RAM out of its slots.
I poop on it, and call 'shennanigans' on whoever the manufacturer is.

Aluminum fins on copper base/tubes....anyone tell them that galvanic corrosion doesn't only happen in the water?
I would expect that it would slowly get worse over time--temperature wise, as the fins lose contact with the copper parts.

It's a neat concept for those with matching holes in the case door, but poorly executed. And you can bet that with the CoolerMaster name, it's more costly than needed too.

Pass.

Diggrr said:
Aluminum fins on copper base/tubes....anyone tell them that galvanic corrosion doesn't only happen in the water?
I would expect that it would slowly get worse over time--temperature wise, as the fins lose contact with the copper parts.

It's a neat concept for those with matching holes in the case door, but poorly executed. And you can bet that with the CoolerMaster name, it's more costly than needed too.

Pass.

there are a coupla coolers with copper heat pipes and aluminum fins... actually most thermalright coolers are... but all components are nickle plated

....which is exactly why I bought their all copper one.
That's more worth the money than a name is.

Last edited:
Posted to another section as well...here are my results from the installation of a GeminII.

The Geminii is actually a good heatsink. I have found that the blades are a tad close to blow INTO the case, as it will cause a heat buildup underneath the HSF. However, if you turn the fans to blow OUT of your case...it drops the temps. I currently only have one fan sucking off my HSF as I didn't want to move the video card on my Ultra-D. The temp inside my room has gone up about 10-12F since I tested my XP-90 but here are the results, even though the geminii has to work with hotter temps in the room.

Room temps 69F for XP-90 and 81F for Geminii

After running Orthos for 20 hours on each

Speed fan recorded temps

XP-90 = 57C, 58C, and a core temp of 62C
Geminii = 47C, 48C, and a core temp of 55C

Everest Temperatures

XP-90 =
Motherboard 63C
CPU 56C
CPU (core 1) 60C
CPU (core 2) 61C

Geminii =
Motherboard 57C
CPU 48C
CPU (core 1) 58C
CPU (core 2) 56C

The Geminii outperformed the XP-90 even though my ambient temperature in the room was greater. I know I didn't do on-die test comparisons...but I feel the same programs run after the same amount of burn-in would show similar results.

These tests were conducted on the Opteron 170 in my signature.

Back