• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow, Windows 8 Pro upgrades will only cost $40 for Windows Xp,Vista, or 7 users!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If that's true I guess they will be really pushing those IPAD devices and Kindle Fire's I suppose.

I guess I wouldn't be really surprised if it was just to support peeps buying em.

Windows 8 also has a classic interface that is supposedly easy to invoke.

I read that you can also upgrade from winxp for the $40 as well. Most likely your apps have to be reinstalled though.

Windows 8 also has a classic interface that is supposedly easy to invoke.

I read that you can also upgrade from winxp for the $40 as well. Most likely your apps have to be reinstalled though.

oh yeah, it's not just the Metro UI, there's a big link in the top left corner of the Metro UI start menu for the "Desktop" which is basically the normal windows desktop, where you use any apps that aren't yet Metro UI compatible.

Microsoft would have to pay me to upgrade :) I have still not yet seen a single reason to upgrade to Win8 on a non touch screen machine...

Love Metro on my Windows Phone. Hare it on the desktop.

Oh, and why the hell have they put metro into the next release of windows server? I mean wth are they smoking???....

even at $40 i don't see a point, as Jmdixon said, metro is great on touchscreens, but useless with a mouse.

I totally don't care about metro on server. Everything you need is in the server manager now. anything else can get icons on the desktop. no need for a start button at all really.

besides, MS is pushing for GUI-less servers. default install on the preview was Core.

awesome! finally we can upgrade these xp machines at work :D just talked to my boss and he was like yea! only reason why we cant go to 7 is because our accounting program doesnt work on it or something like that but i hear 8 has more backwards compatability

I'm looking forward to the new coding for BD/PD. Its supposed to actually use the new architecture correctly.

As things stand I'm gonna sit this one out, perfectly happy with Win 7 and from what I've seen so far Win 8 has absolutely no appeal to me, and what little performance gains there might be they're not ground-breaking to warrant getting used to even greater hodge podge of UI styles. Not even that I'm not a fan of Metro (I'm not) but they just can't design a consistent environment, never could never will and I'm pretty sure Win 8 will elevate this to the level of sheer lunacy. I don't believe in MS' good heart either, that $40 is there to have people jump on the (new) bandwagon en masse because even they themselves have little confidence in feasibility of that 180 turn.

As things stand I'm gonna sit this one out, perfectly happy with Win 7 and from what I've seen so far Win 8 has absolutely no appeal to me, and what little performance gains there might be they're not ground-breaking to warrant getting used to even greater lunacy of hodge podge UI styles. Not even that I'm not a fan of Metro (I'm not) but they just can't design a consistent environment, never could never will. I don't believe in MS' good heart either, that $40 is there to have people jump on the (new) bandwagon en masse because even they themselves have little confidence in feasibility of that 180 turn.

I think you could be right on that. With Windows 7 not being that old and being such a success, trying to get people to jump in to Windows 8 might be difficult at the normal $200 price range, but at $40 it's not too painful.

I'm running preview on one of my "crunching" rigs just to check it out... My only comment so far is that they have removed the error codes from BSOD screen so now no more 101, 124, etc. codes to help diagnose your voltage adjustments when pushing overclocks.

Windows 7 is the new XP. It will last for a decade if Microsoft doesn't find a legal way to just kill it.

I'll get one copy of Win8 as long as I don't have to nuke one of my XP/Vista/Win7 COA keys to install it.

Windows 7 is the new XP. It will last for a decade if Microsoft doesn't find a legal way to just kill it.

I'll get one copy of Win8 as long as I don't have to nuke one of my XP/Vista/Win7 COA keys to install it.

+1 to that then i can get one of my linux things back to windows lol, i cant afford windows for all the pc's i have

Oh, and why the hell have they put metro into the next release of windows server? I mean wth are they smoking???....

Ah, I can talk on that one! I've been completely blown away by what you can do with Server 2012. There's some awesome stuff in there. But specifically with regard to the interface, they've finally caught up with *nix in that the GUI is distinct from the OS itself. In Server 2012, you can use PowerShell for everything and the GUI is essentially wrappers on PowerShell. Which is fantastic. So if you're virtualizing a hundred Server 2012 instances, none of them actually need to have GUI's installed which cuts down the memory and speeds up the whole thing. It all adds up. If you're thinking that you're not a sysadmin in charge of hundreds of virtualised servers and this stuff doesn't matter, think about how Server 2012 is set up to make it really easy to just rent an instance in the cloud and pay just for what you need for as long as you need. As soon as my preferred provider offers it, I'm renting a server and using it as my "cloud" in place of MS's default SkyDrive offering. That way I can use all the secure document features of Server 2012 for my work stuff. (They all get encrypted so even though it's "Cloud", it's a private Cloud).

So I got side-tracked. With the Server 2012 GUI just being wrappers for PowerShell scripts, this is really the golden time to do a GUI re-write. And seriously, Metro on the Server is fine. You need a dozen general programs to manage a Windows Server (most of the functionality is configured within different sections of the general programs). That number of programs fits easily on the Metro screen and you'll be using PowerShell half the time anyway if you're a power user. Server 2012 is set up to install and uninstall the GUI quickly as needed to minimize memory footprint and not waste processor time - it's really, really tuned to virtualization. You couldn't do that with the great big fat thing the original GUI had become. Metro is *a lot* lighter, so it works well for this.

Microsoft would have to pay me to upgrade :) I have still not yet seen a single reason to upgrade to Win8 on a non touch screen machine...

Love Metro on my Windows Phone. Hare it on the desktop.

I read that Windows 8 has a bit better performance.

Back