• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow, Windows 8 Pro upgrades will only cost $40 for Windows Xp,Vista, or 7 users!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hate upgrade versions, with Windows installs I like to do a clean install every month or so because their OS is so unstable. I guess it works for people that dont care but with a high performance PC I want it to be as fast a possible.

I hate upgrade versions, with Windows installs I like to do a clean install every month or so because their OS is so unstable. I guess it works for people that dont care but with a high performance PC I want it to be as fast a possible.

Same here, I just assume the ole "Use the upgrade disc to install as clean-install" will work since I have a Win7 or WinXP # I can give it (or a disc)

Does that still work?

Same here, I just assume the ole "Use the upgrade disc to install as clean-install" will work since I have a Win7 or WinXP # I can give it (or a disc)

Does that still work?

The issue I have here is that I dont have a paid version of Windows 7, I have the free student version of Pro from Dreamspark (It is legit I promise), and I dont know that that will work with it. I obviously wont know until 8 is released. The truth is that I would rather sell my PC and get another Mac but I dont have the money to do that right now.

The issue I have here is that I dont have a paid version of Windows 7, I have the free student version of Pro from Dreamspark (It is legit I promise), and I dont know that that will work with it. I obviously wont know until 8 is released. The truth is that I would rather sell my PC and get another Mac but I dont have the money to do that right now.

If you are still a student I'm sure you'll (we'll) be able to get Win 8 through Dreamspark. My Dreamspark already has the Win 8 preview in it, I'm sure they'll update with retail in October (or maybe Nov)

If you are still a student I'm sure you'll (we'll) be able to get Win 8 through Dreamspark. My Dreamspark already has the Win 8 preview in it, I'm sure they'll update with retail in October (or maybe Nov)

Well that is good news, I just hope my account doesnt expire, I am changing schools and I dont know that my new one participates in that program.

I am just glad that my Visual Studio key doesnt expire.

"Use the upgrade disc to install as clean-install"

What exactly is that? And how do you do it lol.

I have 8 on a VM right now and honestly.. I'd have to re-teach how to use a PC to my whole family.. totally not worth it.. I prefer desktop environments.. I may have to stick with 7 till its dead :p

I have 8 on a VM right now and honestly.. I'd have to re-teach how to use a PC to my whole family.. totally not worth it.. I prefer desktop environments.. I may have to stick with 7 till its dead :p

You just have to teach them one new step, when the PC boots to Metro UI, click "Desktop" tile in upper left corner. Voila, same looking environment.

Nevermind, the Windows.old stuff bothers me. Seems like it would have some carry-over.

Back