• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wrong DRAM frequency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Run1e

Registered
Hi!

I've been looking around about overclocking my RAM for quite a while.
I have 24gb Corsair Dominator RAM, which are suppose to be running at 1600mhz, which I'm not quite sure if it is.
Because at the boot screen, it reads my RAM and says it's running at 1066mhz. (explanation?)
My mobo is an Asus Rampage III Extreme (my pc is a 2010 build) and I have an Airflow II fan blowing my RAM cool, and my PC is in my cold basement so heat should not be a problem at all.

My RAM timings are 8-7-7-20, basically when I hear what people dowith their RAM, I wonder if theres performance hidden that I'm not using. Yes I know the effect of OCing your RAM is minimal but I guess its for the mental part of me. ;)

So basically what I'm asking is there any point in doing anything to my RAM, and why is my boot screen telling my my RAM is running at 1066, when the stock speed is 1600?

Thanks in advance.

/
Run1e

Just change the DRAM Frequency option in the BIOS to DDR3-1600. The DRAM Frequency field in CPU-Z--> Memory tab should read 800 MHz if it's set correctly. You can also verify the current timings under the same tab.

Just change the DRAM Frequency option in the BIOS to DDR3-1600. The DRAM Frequency field in CPU-Z--> Memory tab should read 800 MHz if it's set correctly. You can also verify the current timings under the same tab.

So basically now it's 534mhz x 2 = 1066mhz.

But anyways, should I run some stress tests after OCing it to 1600mhz? Or would that be pointless at this kind of speed?

Many thanks for your time. :clap:

/
Run1e

You can if you'd like... using either the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic utility in Win7 and Vista, or from a bootable thumb drive w/ Memtest86+ installed. Just make sure that in addition to setting the DRAM freq. to DDR3-1600, the timings are manually adjusted to 8-7-7-20 (all sub-timings on Auto), and the DRAM voltage is set to whatever the modules are rated at.

You can if you'd like... using either the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic utility in Win7 and Vista, or from a bootable thumb drive w/ Memtest86+ installed. Just make sure that in addition to setting the DRAM freq. to DDR3-1600, the timings are manually adjusted to 8-7-7-20 (all sub-timings on Auto), and the DRAM voltage is set to whatever the modules are rated at.

Just tried changing it to DDR3-1600. I restarted my PC and it still showed DDR3-1066, and after the Disk Management screen, there was a line at the bottom screen saying something along the lines that the overclock failed, and that I should return to the setup. Also, before I chose "DDR3-1600" it "warned" me that the voltage would be set according to what's needed, or something like that.

I'll give it another go after I get a response.

/
Run1e

What's the EXACT model of RAM you have? Assuming this is your kit...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145338

... the rated timings are 9-9-9-24 at 1.65V. If so, then adjust the timings and voltage accordingly.

Oh god I forgot that all the way from the beginning.

The model number is "CMP12GX3M3A1600C9"
http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/in...el-memory-upgrade-kits/cmp12gx3m3a1600c9.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145321

I bought two sets of these, with one fan leftover.

As the model number itself suggests, it is suppose to run at 1600mhz. I might just be saying jibberish, I really dont have any usable knowledge when it comes to overclocking, especially RAM..

/
Run1e

Adjust the four primary timings to 9-9-9-24 (tCL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS; leave all the sub-timings on Auto), and the DRAM voltage to 1.65V.

Adjust the four primary timings to 9-9-9-24 (tCL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS; leave all the sub-timings on Auto), and the DRAM voltage to 1.65V.

Did what you just said. CPU-Z doesent show any difference exept for the timings being 9-9-9-24, the DRAM frequency is still the same, or was that even suppose to change... Also the boot screen said DDR3-1066 as always.

Side note; when I up'd the voltage from 1.51v to 1.65v, the BIOS started complaining how voltages over 1.65 might damage the CPU permanently, I don't know if thats a safety warning for numbnuts.

/
Run1e

Oh, and I would rather have an underclocked system than a broken system, as a sign that I wont go too far.. :p

/
Run1e

I wouldn't be giving you these settings to adjust if I thought they were going to "break" your system. Don't worry about the warning in red as you bump the DRAM Bus voltage to 1.65. One other setting you may need to adjust is QPI/DRAM Core voltage, from the default of Auto (should be ~1.15V) to ~1.20-1.25V or higher, since you have 24GB of RAM installed running at DDR3-1600.

I wouldn't be giving you these settings to adjust if I thought they were going to "break" your system. Don't worry about the warning in red as you bump the DRAM Bus voltage to 1.65. One other setting you may need to adjust is QPI/DRAM Core voltage, from the default of Auto (should be ~1.15V) to ~1.20-1.25V or higher, since you have 24GB of RAM installed running at DDR3-1600.

Been experimenting with some settings now. Seems when I choose DDR3-1600, the clocks reset to 8-7-7-20. When that settings is on auto, the clocks go to the settings I set them to (9-9-9-24). The QPI/DRAM voltage is 1.25, and the bus voltage is at 1.65v. (According to CPU-Z)

So if I havent misunderstood, the main goal here is to make the DRAM frequency in CPU-Z ~ 800mhz?

/
Run1e

Ok I've figured out that each time I change the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1600, the system boots up and displays an "overclocking failed" error.

/
Run1e

Bump QPI/DRAM Core voltage to 1.40-1.45V. I'll just refer to it as Vtt from this point on.

I'll try that tomorrow, slept 3 hours last night.

But anyways, what shall I put "DRAM frequency" as? Will the voltage and clock bumping automaticly make it
1600mhz or do I have to choose DDR3-1600 again instead of Auto? If I choose DDR3-1600 I'm most likely going to get the "Overclocking failed" error at startup again.

Anyways gn & thanks for all the amazing help :p

/
Run1e

You can either set everything manually, including the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1600, or try enabling the DDR3-1600 XMP profile.

Tried setting the timings to 9-9-9-24 and again, when I put on "DDR3-1600", my system boots with an error saying the overclock failed (and my timings are reset even though I've set them to something else). When I set the timings, but NOT the DRAM frequency setting, I can boot normally AND CPU-Z says that the timings are correct, but my RAM is still running at 1066mhz.

I don't know if this is of any help, but it mentions all the timings and the "XMP-1600" you were talking about (I have set all there timings and voltages before but still, 1066.) ;

http://screenshot.cz/TDQSQ/timings-table.PNG

So how do I choose this XMP-1600 option?

/
Run1e

You still need to bump the Vtt like I suggested above. And as far as the XMP setting...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 10,596
Back