• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wrong DRAM frequency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's exactly what I did earlier today!

Everything is alike from the picture exept that I've changed the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1600, and my Vtt was 1.40v (I made it 1.43v on this boot) and my DRAM Voltage was 1.65.

Again, before my OS starts up I get the split-second error onscreen saying:
"Overclocking failed! Please return to the setup and re-config your settings."

/
Run1e

Remove the modules from DIMM slots 2, 4, and 6, leaving only 3 modules installed in slots 1, 3, and 5 for a triple-channel config., then reset CMOS. Boot back into the BIOS and enable the DDR3-1600 XMP profile (Profile #1), without manually altering any voltages including Vtt. If you still receive an "Overclocking failed" message, reboot back to the BIOS, change Ai Overclock Tuner to Manual, and enter the DRAM freq. (DDR3-1600), the four primary timings (9-9-9-24), and the DRAM voltage (1.65V) manually.

I have two SSD's running RAID0 as my boot drive, did resetting the CMOS just reset my disks?

No the array's were gone. I had to change the SATA mode to RAID and it saved my ***, never been more relieved in my entire life! :p Couldnt imagine doing everything over again.

But about the overclocking, the boot lights (the four light showing red if either CPU, DRAM etcetc is faulty.) showed that the DRAM were not working when I pulled three of them out. So I've set all the 24gb back in, I couldnt do anything useful while the three DIMMs were in because the mobo was saying the DRAM wasn't behaving properly. I'm starting to think if somethings wrong with my RAM? It's clocked lower than factory presets, as a default?

Btw, heres a picture of one of the sticks:
http://screenshot.cz/MYDZ6/IMG_0529.JPG

Just so we know its the model we're actually thinking it is..

/
Run1e

If you are still working on this you should post tabs from CPUZ of CPU, memory and spd. It is very hard to post much help about your system unless we can see what you are doing and what speeds you are actually running at. It would not hurt to also include a shot of CPUID HWmonitor.

CPU.
CPU.PNG

Memory.
Memory.PNG

SPD.
SPD.PNG

HWMonitor.
hwmonitor.PNG

Thanks alot for the reply, surely wasn't expecting a bump.. :p

/
Run1e

Things look OK to me, I was maybe expecting to see voltage drops but your PSU seems to be doing a fine job. Also as you can see by my sig I am an AMD guy, haven't had an Intel rig since 98. That being said, I won't be much help to you except in general terms because Intel has changed so much. One thing I recall is that whenever the power goes out and the system is rebooted I get the same overclock has failed message and just press the enter to continue and it boots fine, once it boots it no longer gives that message. Have you ever tried just hitting enter to pass that screen the first time?
One other thing I see is that your CPU is idling down, this must be disabled with AMD but I am not sure that it is the same with Intel. There are probably one or two settings in the bios that you have missed that are causing this but it may also be that you have all mem slots populated.

Last edited:
My PC does boot after the overclock error. And also, all my memory slots are indeed populated. But what impact should this have?

My PC does boot after the overclock error. And also, all my memory slots are indeed populated. But what impact should this have?

After hitting enter to ignore the error, have you checked that it is still at 1066, if 1600 was selected?
More memory slots that are filled, the harder it is to supply clean even power to them all and the harder it is on the memory controller. This is not always an issue the more the mobo cost but could be a possibilty. I have all of my slots filled(only four on AMD) and they are actually two different sets yet the still run at 1600 together.

i had done a search on other mobo's like yours and have seen that others have been to 1600 and above with all slots filled, so perhaps there are other bios settings that need to be changed. On AMD cool and Quiet must be disabled to OC and maybe Intel has a similar feature.

As stated earlier in the thread, even though if I manually overclock or choose the XMP preset profile, it boots up and says that my memory is running at 1066, and later giving the overclock error just lasting for a split second before it boots up into the OS.

/
Run1e

Hi, Did you get your system back to booting? If not make sure you enable the raid mode on your controller. Then exit the bios and let the raid controller see your drives then go back into the bios and make sure you have the raid controller/SSDs in the correct spot.

In the past people have had some trouble with running all 6 DIMMS and even more trouble with 24GB! Also all of these x58 boards are known for having malfunctioning memory slots. The RIIIE isn't the worse of the boards as far as the slots failing though so you should be good.

What I recommend is first! Do whatever it takes to get your system booting.

Second after that switch BIOSes bye pushing the button next to your BIOS in your computer. If you have never used this bios please reset it using the jumper or loading defaults saving and restarting. Again get windows working with your raid set up and save.

Once you have windows back and working I would recommend that you start with 1333 with only 3 dimms plugged in.

They are correct that when running 6 dimms you will have added difficulties heat and power consumption. But lets start in baby steps. Lets get to 1333 with half your ram. Then swap out that half with the other half. I would run memtest on both.

If you do not have memtest it is worth your time to download memtest.iso and burn it to CD!

Let us know from there. But lets take it a step at a time. I would recommend the same voltage increases as before. Also running the ram at 1.65v and for the first try use auto for the timings. Unless you know for sure what they are actually supposed to be. I DO NOT but you can set them to 9-9-9-24 for this run if you want. I would go auto at first.

LET US KNOW

I got my system back working ages ago! :p

As I said earlier when I took out the slots 2,4 and 6 my motherboard lamp indicated there was something wrong with my ram so I put them back in and everything went back to normal.

If there is an malfunction with my RAM, is that fixable or should I just let all of this go?

/
Run1e

I would not worry what the motherboard says IF the ram passes memtest. Also with the x58 boards it is more likely that the motherboard has a problem than your ram itself. Like I said it is somewhat common for slots to go bad.

Like I said you should download memtest you really really should download it. Get the iso version and burn it to disc and boot from cd (make sure your bios is set to do so).

ALSO remember that you can save bios profiles AND you have 2 BIOS chips so you can try things on one bios and if you can't get it to work just hit the button to switch and boot into windows.

You should also try to get 1333 working before you try 1600 again. Make sure you increase the voltages as recommended also make sure at first that you are not overclocking the CPU. It is ok to overclock it after you verify that your ram is stable at a specific speed but that needs to be the first step since right now that is your goal and your are uncertain whether your ram is defective or not.

If MEMTEST fails I do recommend trying MEMTEST again with the same settings but only 3 dimms. If it fails with 6 and is fine with 3 then test the other 3 dimms to make sure it isn't a specific stick and then decide whether you truly need that much ram. If you do not need that much ram you typically do not want to fill all of your slots.

I will definetly try MEMTEST in the future, but at the moment I don't really have the time.

I got my Ram up to 1333mhz (9-9-9-24) and I really dont think getting it up to 1600 is worth the hassle anymore. If I find myself with nothing to do then I will surely give it a go, following the guidelines you gave :p .

Although thanks for all the cooperation! I appreciate it alot!

/
Run1e

The difference in speed for me from 1066 to 1600 was less than 20% increase in read, write and copy speed. so I would guess that from 1333 to 1600 you would see a very minimal gain.

Back