• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WSUS offline not working for me lately

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Wonder if a repository somewhere is broken. Error message says it can't down load dotnet x 64 gbl or something like that. Anyone tried WSUS lately? It's worked for me before.

If that is the only one that can't download, then I would submit a ticket to WSUS if possible as it would be on their end if other updates are downloading for you through WSUS.
Are you using WSUS because of a broken Windows Update?

We've covered Windows 7 broken update fixes but did you know that July 2016 update rollup for Windows 8.1 can also affect Windows 8 machines so they exhibit the same Windows 7 problems we've been seeing. The kicker with Windows 8 is that in addition to knowing this, there is a *very* specific method to installing the July 2016 fix for Windows 8.
Just in case someone hits this thread doing a search here it is again:

Windows 8.1 Windows Update stuck at "checking for updates" SOLUTION

There were *many* proposed solutions for this problem under Windows 7, but we were the first on the internet to post a comprehensive solution for every new Windows 7 installation here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775169

I have been hit with the same problem under Windows 8 and this time it may be different, this may or may not work for everyone, but I thought I would share this.

This assumes your system was already updated with the following:

• KB3102812 for Windows 8.1 at some point after November 2015:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102812
[It will just say it's already installed if it is.]

• Servicing stack update for Windows 8.1 at some point after July 2016.
Windows8.1-KB3173424 msu file FIRST from here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3173424

If you have not updated your Windows 8.1 since before these dates, then download and install those ? .msu files FIRST.

So now, if you've been updating regularly, and you are hit with never-ending "checking for updates", then

Download Windows8.1-KB3172614 msu file from here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172614

Next
*VERY IMPORTANT* completely disconnect the internet from your device.

Now install Windows8.1-KB3172614 > Reboot > Wait for it to completely boot in > Reconnect internet > Run Windows Update > Updates should show up within three minutes if fixed.

It would be interesting to know if this affects all regularly updated Windows 8.1 machines which developed the Windows Update problem around September of 2016.

I just used it 2 days ago for a Win7 install and it worked fine for me.

I tried registering with the WSUS offline forum for help but the email they were supposed to send me to complete the registration never came. I'm positive I gave the correct email address and I've checked my junk mail folder as well. Not sure what's going on with them.

So why are you saying to skip net framework 4.x?

Just grabbed the latest version 1081 yesterday. Today it says after using the updateinstaller.exe that
"ERROR: Medium neither supports your Windows nor your Office version"
Although from the installer half it only allowed me to check the Remote Desktop Client box. I officially used windows update about a week ago with nary an issue so maybe that's why??
I have never seen that message. The 'verify' portion from the generator has almost never worked, not today either.

Just grabbed the latest version 1081 yesterday. Today it says after using the updateinstaller.exe that
"ERROR: Medium neither supports your Windows nor your Office version"
Although from the installer half it only allowed me to check the Remote Desktop Client box. I officially used windows update about a week ago with nary an issue so maybe that's why??
I have never seen that message. The 'verify' portion from the generator has almost never worked, not today either.

I never get bull like that! I always run from a 100 percent fresh install and install the ethernet driver, 7-zip and run rootsupd.exe before running the install generator.

It looks like you didn't properly select your Windows version. You only select the Windows version and the bits of the current installation!

Unchecking the .net framwork 4x update option didn't help.

However, using another email account I was able to complete the registration on the WSUS Offline forum and post my issue. No responses yet, however.

Tried using WSUS Offline to update Windows 8.1 just as an experiment but get the same kind of error at the same juncture in the process. Beginning to think there is some issue with my ISP or my modem/router not allowing access to those servers.

Getting no action to speak of on the WSUS Offline forum after posting about this issue. Lots of views but only one response that was asking me for a log. I posted the log but got no further response.

Windows Update MiniTool still working 100% :thup:

How are you using this tool? What a lot of us want is not something that supplements or fixes Windows automatic updates of a a long standing in place installation but something that will allow you to manually install all updates on a new installation in rapid fashion, not waiting for next month's Microsoft push. I have never been able to get the mini tool to do this. It did not appear to do anything at all that I could see.

Exactly how you use the standard Windows Update, make sure he can go through your firewall, let it search (usually only takes a few seconds), it will then display a list of what's available and you can pick and choose what you want from 3 different sources. You have the options of downloading, downloading and installing, hiding or deleting as you need.

latest version : http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=48142#2

Clipboard01.jpg

Installed stuff :

Clipboard02.jpg

Updates you know you don't need go here (like upgrade to Windows 10 or drivers) :

Clipboard03.jpg

Last edited:
Tried it again on Windows 7 clean install last night. Got somewhere this time but minitool quits working after install of SP1, just like the native Windows Update does for me. It searches and searches and never finds anything.

Last edited:
Did you try switching servers ? all tools search the same IP's regardless of who made them, so is anything is blocking it you're effectively screwed. Wasn't there a file in the Windows folder that could be used to block IP's, anyone tried checking it ? Could also be that the website checks which Windows version you're using and blocks accordingly.

Back