• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF Why Wont It Cool Off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I couldnt see how he would have problems with airflow. Except that steel holds in heat better than aluminum, or he has a blanket over his pc :p

Fast420A said:
BTW, about the temps, 48C on air was with a room temp of 90F and very humid. Gotta love FL and a few computers folding at full load 24/7 in the same room.

Sorryabout the random post guys but i HAVE to know... WTF isfolding exactly? Also its not a totaly random post...i also have the same prob. So hopfully someone can help us out lol...ive reseated my hs, tried different airr flow techniques with 10 case fans, even leaving the bay door off and blowing a huge box fan in,"rediculous i know lol" and it only helped like....4c? So any help to this guy will obviously help others. :)

Im gonna take a wild guess but I am gonna say Folding is a term used to describe a pc crunching numbers of data such as a distributed computing program that processes atoms and genes and dna strands or what not. Thats my take on folding but lets see what it really means.

I wouldnt use MBM5 as your only way to tell how hot your computer runs. MBM5 tells me my computer runs at like 70C at load and also gives me some insane readings about my case temps.. Its just not right.

Just my thoughts..

FreakinSyco

(BTW all software thats checks temps give me the same readings. But I have used a Laser Temp gauge to verify that NO software is correct on my machine.)

Folding

I run the folding program 24/7 on my computer. Let me see if I can get all the details here. It is basicly linking thousands of computers together to figure out how protein molecules fold. It is run by Stanford University, and they are using the results to find cures for diseases such as alzheimers, cancer and such. Please excuse my spelling!

This website has a 'team' Team 32. This is kinda a friendly competition between a bunch of websites, teams, whatever, for a good cause.

You can download the program, and it runs in the background. This program is why I have no idle temp information!

There is a folding link in my sig that will answer any questions that you may have. Hopefully you will join!

Have a good one!
E

It is also good for testing o/c stabillity.

clocker2 said:
Folding@Home

I'll bet you can't prove that this makes any difference at all in a computer case.

Well i just know from my experience. I had a steel case with two intakes, a blowhole, a side window fan, and a 120 exhaust fan and now i got an aluminum with two intakes, blowhole, and 80mm exhaust and my temps are a ton better on my mb which is the one ive based it on because I do have wcing.

But they weren't identical cases were they?

Sorry WheaT, I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's just that I see this assumption made frequently and I think it's baseless.
If you were using your case structure as a heatsink with all the heatsources piped to it, then I'd buy into the theory, but that's not true ( the Zalman case being the exception).

Until I see a test using two identical cases/setups with the structure material being the only variation, I'll remain skeptical.

I taped one of the thermal sensors that came with my aerogate 2 fan speed controller onto the bottom top center part of the heatsink. I played BF Vietnam and the temps are being reported as 36C but since I stopped playing it is now varying between 30 and 31C. Sheesh if these are my actual cpu temps that would be fantastic but I doubt it. Im going to go get my thermometer that we use to check the tempature of the turkey from when we deep fry the thing. Its a digital thermometer at the end of a metal rod. I know that thing is accurate but where should I place it? I'm guessing near the bottom/underside of the heatsink somehow.

On a side note when putting my hands in the case to feel airflow and to feel for deadzones I noticed quite a bit of hit rising from my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Granted I Was playing BF Vietnam this thing was so hot that you couldnt hold your finger to it or else it would burn. This is the back side of the card to!!!. Maybe one of those PCI Slot VGA coolers right above the Radeon isnt such a bad Idea.

Own, be careful of the metal thermometer probe around your motherboard.
Don't want to short out anything.

You'll get better results putting a fan on your sidepanel blowing across the side of your videocard.
Moves the hot trapped air from below the card where the major components are.

clocker2 said:
But they weren't identical cases were they?

Sorry WheaT, I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's just that I see this assumption made frequently and I think it's baseless.
If you were using your case structure as a heatsink with all the heatsources piped to it, then I'd buy into the theory, but that's not true ( the Zalman case being the exception).

Until I see a test using two identical cases/setups with the structure material being the only variation, I'll remain skeptical.

Quit being a big jerk!!! :p I know, im just going off of my own experiences. The cases arent too much different, infact the steel actually had the bottom 4 HD bays cut out for more space, and allowing for better airflow. I really dont know what it is. Might be that ive moved home for the summer ;)

Wel, I have noticed that even tiny, seemingly insignificant variations in setup can have a far greater impact on temps than expected.

If you swapped cases and got better performance it would be easy ( and understandable) to attribute the improvement to the case material when in fact something else was the root cause.

Simply put, I don't think that we are dealing with high enough temps for any supposed radiation advantages to come into play.

I used normal tape to tape the thermal sensor onto the bottom right part of the heatsink as close to the cpu core as possible. At idle my temp shows 27-28 C with ambient temp which I believe is the same thing as room temp being around 70 degrees. If the room temp gets to about 75 or 80 degrees my idle temp is around 30C. Now on full load with Prime95 Torture test for 6 hours and playing BFVietnam for a few hours at a time my max load temp has been 34.5C.

This is a hell of alot better than the 50-60 C that was being reported with MBM5 and MSI's own core center temp sensors. I believe these temps that I have recorded with my temp sensor taped to the bottom of the heatsink close to my cpu heatspreader to be as accurate as I can get and seeing these temps makes me a happy man.

Back