• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X4 945 Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AeroBuff

Registered
Hey all, first post here. I'm having some issues getting my IIX4 945 to run. I have an M2N-SLI http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2NSLI/#CPUS and my 945 P/N is HDX945WFBMBOX. Now, I understand that that P/N isn't on my CPU support list, but according to http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X4 945 - HDX945WFK4DGM (HDX945WFGMBOX).html the only difference is P/N on my support list is OEM and mine is boxed. I have updated my bios to both 1103 and back to 5001 (ASUS technician said 5001) and both failed. There is a weird goof up where in my "Orders" page on Tigerdirect it says I received the IBOX, but mine is clearly the MBOX. I wonder if the IBOX would actually work...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We commonly see problems with Nvidia chipset motherboards on the forum. Nvidia is a very minor player on the AMD platform anymore and not a good way to go. What's more, you're trying to run a relatively new CPU technology platform on a relatively old motherboard technology platform. Technically, should work but in the real world often will not.

Having said that, is this X4 955 an upgrade from an existing CPU? If so, you will probably need reset the CMOS in order to get the bios to properly pair itself with the new CPU.

Last edited:
and both failed = Failed to do what? Failed how?

the MBOX = The later C3 stepping 945 Cpu and should be better than the IBOX model cpu.

the MBOX = Asus website claims this cpu is supported from bios 5001 to later bioses.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the problem. The computer turns on and the CPU fan spins and eveything, but no beep and nothing on the screen. I just got an email from an ASUS tech and they said that my M/B supports the MBOX...so peculiar. I'm tempted to take it to somebody...

AMD is RMA'ing it. Both AMD and ASUS say it's compatible, I tried both BIOS revisions and nothing. It has to be the processor. I'll try and keep you all posted.

and both failed = Failed to do what? Failed how?

the MBOX = The later C3 stepping 945 Cpu and should be better than the IBOX model cpu.

the MBOX = Asus website claims this cpu is supported from bios 5001 to later bioses.

I have already looked at supported cpus and bioses needed and wrote that the FIRST bios that was supposed to be used was 5001. HOWEVER other bioses AFTER that one should work also. Not always, but should.

Back