• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x4 965 CPU lowers multiplier/voltage itself

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liberty34

My specs:
x4 965 BE 3.4 Ghz(stock) - 1,3625 Voltage
M4N68T v2
Corsair VS450 PSU
1050 Ti
6 GB RAM

I disabled cool and quiet. My cpu never goes higher than 58 C. After few minutes of CPU test CPU lowers core clock (to ~800 mhz - or x4 multiplier) and voltage for a few seconds. I tried Prime98 and Aida64 stress programs. I have tried new PSU nothing changed. Temps looks okay because my CPU max temp is 62 C on manual which is never reaches. What could be problem?

I would think heat is the problem and it is throttling, try lowering the vcore and try again please.

The issue is likely not the CPU but the power producing components (VRMs) on your low end motherboard that can't take the voltage draw and the heat it produces on those components. That was a big gun CPU in it's day you paired it with low end motherboard.

That 62°C definitely needs to be rounded down to the closet number around 55. Had a very similar system and ran it at 3.8GHz 24/7. Anything above 55 became a visit to problem village.

That 62°C definitely needs to be rounded down to the closet number around 55. Had a very similar system and ran it at 3.8GHz 24/7. Anything above 55 became a visit to problem village.

You are right. I did some temporary temp management (a big fan and open side case) and below 55 was really stable cpu.

keeping the whole thing cooled with airflow is what it's all about, I still have a 965 or two around, they are hard to beat.

You are right. I did some temporary temp management (a big fan and open side case) and below 55 was really stable cpu.

I'm sill using a 965 BE @ 3.8Ghz as my daily OC, with 1.4 volts. I'm using a MSI 870-G45, which is a low end board, and one that had terrible mosfets from other posts I've read. I guess I got lucky with mine and I keep the VRM area as cool as I can with a fan blowing air that direction since the parts are naked. I have gone as high as 4.1Ghz but it takes 1.5 volts to get there, and I worry that's just too much for this mobo, so I back it off to a more sane 1.4 and 3.8.

Cooling is a huge deal for the Phenoms. You MUST keep them below 55C or they go unstable. I have a Silverstone TD02 Slim cooling mine. Keeps it below 50C under load. I also keep my NB at 2400 Mhz, with a slight voltage bump. Gives a bit of extra throughput on everything. I can go as high as 2600, but requires 1.378 volts to 1.4 to make it stable, and that's pushing too high for marginal gains. So if you haven't messed with NB overclocking on the Phenom, you'll want to check out Dolk's Phenom OC guide. It's what I used to tweak mine and eek out as much as I can given the crap board I'm using.

I had thought to get a AM3+ board on the cheap at some point to mess around, but at this point it's a waste of money. I think this Phenom II I have with a good board and VRM could push 4.2+ easily given I have gotten it to 4.1 on a crappy motherboard.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should mention I have good power, with an EVGA 850G2 Supernova PSU... so good power is not my limiting factor.

Back