• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X5482 Cpu Cooling TJmax weirdness help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digll

Hey all, Just replaced my mobo and regreased my fan setup, I'm getting some strange readings off my diode, and I want to make sure I'm running within the specs.

I've compared Realtemp, and Coretemp and Speedfan to set my X5482 to a Tjmax of 85 degrees (as researched online).

What's weird is that I'm getting CPU temps that are about 10 degrees hotter than the cores.

I'm currently about 5 mins into a Stress test with Prime95 and the temps have stopped at:

Core average 60c
CPU Diodes 70c

I was under the impression that the Cores would run hotter than the CPU Tcase (If I'm remembering that right, diodes in the CPU's are to report total CPU heat / Tcase value?)

At idle in my bios after about 10 mins it reports 40c for 'system temperature' but makes no mention of whether that's CPU temp, Core or MOBO temo. (I have a supermicro X7DWA motherboard.

Ambient room temperature is 74f (23c or so)

I'm trying to configure Speedfan to manage my fans properly but I'm concerned about why the CPU diodes are reading hotter, and if my core temperatures are reading correctly.

AIDA64 on automatic, and set to 85 Tjmax (formerly Everest) reports the same readings as RealTemp (when Realtemp is set to 85 Tjmax).

I'm trying to standardize and ensure a safe operating and accurate report for the CPU temps. Anyone have experience with dual X5400's.

Last tidbit I have fairly decent 771 heatsink / fan running at 4500 RPM and used Shin-Etsu MicroSI X23-7783D thermal paste. Just a rice drop for maximum thermal transfer. Both CPU cores run pretty close to each other as mentioned above.

Cheers!

I noticed this in scouring the forums here:

"No way to measure Tcase w/o embedding a temp probe in the IHS. Speedfan can read the mobo socket temp diode (if there is one), but that is not Tcase."

This is definitely my case as Speedfan recongnizes these as "Diode 1" and "Diode 2". If this is the motherboard socket temp diode... then are my temps accurate? And what is a safe motherboard diode temp at full load?

Back