• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x570 motherboards and power consumption: Wow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

https://www.eteknix.com/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wifi-motherboard-review/6/

Scroll down the page and take a look at the power consumption chart. I know this is not new info to a lot of you but to see the power consumption of the x570 chipset in comparison to that of the x3xx and x4xx chipset boards in graph form was pretty startling to me.

I'm thinking this will force us in many build scenarios to make an upward adjustment in our PSU wattage recommendations for those coming to us for advice.

Last edited:
Don't forget that most of that power is the CPU, about 80% or somewhere around there. But still that is an eye opener.

edit: I take that back, the CPU and GPU take the lions share of all that power. I read 1 of the reviews on the X570 Aorus Matser and they used a GTX 1080 ti on it, that's about 250W right there, then a 105W CPU. That comes to 355W out of 385.4W total.

Last edited:
The chipset went from 4W to 11W....

Why does that require going up a level in psu?

EDIT: Almost 500W for a 3900x 'overclocked'? What is the overclock? It's a 105W chip, lol.

Last edited:
I haven't used a PSU less then 1000w since I use to run 9800gt's. The antec Quattro. Man those were the days. The new Ryzens seem to keep bringing back good memories.

The chipset went from 4W to 11W....

Why does that require going up a level in psu?

EDIT: Almost 500W for a 3900x 'overclocked'? What is the overclock? It's a 105W chip, lol.

I guess I communicated poorly in my first post. What I meant was the whole package of running a Gen 2 Ryzen on a x5xx motherboard. Some of those boards in the graph were pulling over 400 watts. If someone had a big hairy video card added to the mix then a 500 watt PSU would no longer cut the mustard.

It's a bit shocking, honestly... with as little headroom as most of these have, I am wondering why it's pulling so much wattage overclocked like that.

The 3700x I have hits 215W at the wall on X570 in Aida64...The 3900x pulls 200W more overclocked? Wow.

EDIT: Actually, if we look at the testing method, you'll see that the X570 used a 3900x, while x470 used a 2700x, x370 a 1800x.

Looks like they are using WPrime as a power test.. interesting...

Still 385W-435W is a lot more than expected. I'd run a 750W PSU with a flagship 250W GPU. :)

I'm starting a round of testing with a Giga, MSI and ASUS board using the 3900X. I'll report my findings when done and settle this. I have a hard time believing these things can pull 400W with ambient cooling. Just looking at their idle power is a bit shocking.

This review or one similar was going around just prior to launch. I don't know it just doesn't make sense ….

Agreed, sure there are 4 more cores, and TDP is not a true measure of power use, but that seems excessive. I wish more details of the testing methodology were included in the article. I think the biggest jump is because of the extra cores, but I agree that doesn't seem to paint the full picture.

I'm starting a round of testing with a Giga, MSI and ASUS board using the 3900X. I'll report my findings when done and settle this. I have a hard time believing these things can pull 400W with ambient cooling. Just looking at their idle power is a bit shocking.

Hey Johan, power up just the MB and using a Killowatt meter, see how much power the MB uses. From what I see on the graph, those powers are total system power (CPU, GPU, Chipset, RAM and any drives (HDD & SSD))

Hey Johan, power up just the MB and using a Killowatt meter, see how much power the MB uses. From what I see on the graph, those powers are total system power (CPU, GPU, Chipset, RAM and any drives (HDD & SSD))

It is full system power but part of the "beef" for lack of a better term is the mobo/system under load. The x570 chipset pulls a fair amount of power 10-15W under load and most of them have a dedicated cooling fan. So to capture the additional power the system needs to be working hard. I can hear the fan speed up when stress testing so the chip must be pulling enough power to trip the sensor.

Right. The previous chipset used 4W... x570 for the consumer is an 11W chip. There is another (for HEDT?) which is rated higher at 15W.

But yeah, that wattage is about unbelievable if it's just the cpu (and board/drives etc).

Initial test at idle on a Giga Pro WiFi. 83 W on PS and 109 W using high performance in Windows PP. I do think that using a PCIe4 NVMe does something to power use as well since I didn't see reading this high previously. I also have my EK predator AIO in use which adds 10-15 W of power use

PCIe4 NVME? I have a question about that. Glad you posted it that way. To take advantage of PCIe 4 bandwidth do we need a new generation of NVME drives or will 3.0x4 NVMe benefit?

Subbed for knowledge.

For Trents, yes you will need new gen of storage drives. PCIe 4.0x4 NVMe for the increased speeds.

the 2990WX has a TDP of 250 Watts which is insane, so I also agree there is no way people are pulling 400 watts on ambient with a ryzen 3900X CPU.

Are there any air coolers even rated for that much?
PCIe4 NVME? I have a question about that. Glad you posted it that way. To take advantage of PCIe 4 bandwidth do we need a new generation of NVME drives or will 3.0x4 NVMe benefit?

You will need a new 4.0 x4 NVME drive to take advantage of the higher bandwidth.

You will need a new 4.0 x4 NVME drive to take advantage of the higher bandwidth.
For the most part, this. There may be some drives banging off the limit already and those may see a small performance bump. For drives that are not reaching that limit, most of them, you will not. The speed is in the controller and in some ways, the NAND used.

I'll add some testing into this Mobo review that I'm working on. I have a couple different Gen3 NVMe drives and this Gen4. I'll see if any of the drives get a boost.

Wee doggies. Those gen 4 NVME drives are spendy! And by the looks of those heat sinks on them they must run hotter than a depot stove! But I'm guessing the price will go down when more manufacturers come on board with gen 4 and also will make smaller capacity drives available.

Back