• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x570 motherboards and power consumption: Wow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I assume the PCI-e gen 4 m.2 sockets are backwards compatible with a gen 3 NVME drives? If you are running a Ryzen 3 CPU on a x570 motherboard then I assume you can still used gen 4 NVME drives?

Affirmative to the above.

Edit:
Storage Interface
Integrated in the CPU (M2A_SOCKET):
· 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors:
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support)
· 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors/2nd Generation AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics processors/AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics processors:
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSD support)
Integrated in the Chipset (M2B_SOCKET):
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 4.0*/3.0 x4/x2 SSD support)
* For 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors only.
6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10
A lot of the x570’s storage specs look like this. Some may have more or less than others. Notice the availability differs based on the CPU Gen you’re using.

Last edited:
Initial test at idle on a Giga Pro WiFi. 83 W on PS and 109 W using high performance in Windows PP. I do think that using a PCIe4 NVMe does something to power use as well since I didn't see reading this high previously. I also have my EK predator AIO in use which adds 10-15 W of power use

since you mention PCIe4 and power consumption:
. Der8auer measured power consumption of the chipset directly and found a minimal difference between PCIe4 NVMe and PCIe3 NVMe.

Right. The previous chipset used 4W... x570 for the consumer is an 11W chip. There is another (for HEDT?) which is rated higher at 15W.

But yeah, that wattage is about unbelievable if it's just the cpu (and board/drives etc).

Don't forget eTeknix does their reviews with these parts:

X570

Motherboard – Changes Per Review
CPU – Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM – G.Skill 3400MHz Dual Channel 16GB
CPU Cooler – Noctua D15S with dual fans
Graphics Card – Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Power Supply – BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850 Watt
Main Storage Drive – Toshiba OCZ VX500 500GB
Chassis – Lian Li T80 Test Bench
Operating System – Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

So the CPU is not the only thing using power on these X570 MB's

Right... I get what hardware they have, but it's (the GPU) sitting idle, right? So does it really matter much when load testing the CPU only?

Also, that same GPU was in every other board they tested as well... so the result we see is, presumably, due to the CPU mostly, righT?

Last edited:
Right... I get what hardware they have, but it's (the GPU) sitting idle, right? So does it really matter much when load testing the CPU only?

They have to be running the GPU as well, there is no way a 105W CPU can pull that much power, maybe 150W give or take a few watts OC'ed. IIRC, 3D Mark pushes both the CPU and GPU right?

3DMark has a CPU test, yes... but the CPU test runs without the GPU. The other tests use the CPU, like any other game.

But that said, the power testing is done using WPRIME which doesn't use the GPU at all... it just sits idle.

WPrime (download)
32M and 1024M
Power usage recorded at 1024M 50% complete, thermals recorded at 75% complete

3DMark has a CPU test, yes... but the CPU test runs without the GPU. The other tests use the CPU, like any other game.

But that said, the power testing is done using WPRIME which doesn't use the GPU at all... it just sits idle.

4 games was use for the reviews as well as:
3DMark Fire Strike (download)
FireStrike (1080p) Benchmark
Unigine Superposition (download)
1080p Extreme Benchmark
PCMark 10 Professional (download)
Express Benchmark
WPrime (download)
32M and 1024M
CineBench R15 (download)
CPU Multi
CPU Single
CineBench R20 (download)
CPU Multi
CPU Single
Handbrake (download)
Custom MP4 to MKV 4K conversion (details below)
AIDA64 Engineer (download)
CPU-Z (download)
HWMonitor (download)

4 games was use for the reviews as well as:
3DMark Fire Strike (download)
FireStrike (1080p) Benchmark
Unigine Superposition (download)
1080p Extreme Benchmark
PCMark 10 Professional (download)
Express Benchmark
WPrime (download)
32M and 1024M
CineBench R15 (download)
CPU Multi
CPU Single
CineBench R20 (download)
CPU Multi
CPU Single
Handbrake (download)
Custom MP4 to MKV 4K conversion (details below)
AIDA64 Engineer (download)
CPU-Z (download)
HWMonitor (download)

Back