• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x6 1055t Core/CPU Temp huge difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BB_19

Hey, i recently bought a new motherboard and a new cooler(Noctua NH-U9B SE2).

I previously had the Asus m4a79xtd evo motherboard, my CPU temps, the one which the motherboard reads were on load about 55c, the Core temps were similar.

Now i got the ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 Motherboard and i get really high "CPU Temps" on load without even overclocking. I thought maybe the thermal paste isn't put on properly so i removed and put it back on 3 times, but the results are always the same :(

What really wonders me is that i sometimes have 46c on idle which is damn high but only 23c core temp? How can that even be?

My question should i really trust the "CPU Temp" given by the motherboard or the core temps? I read somewhere that the "CPU Temp" is the one you should look at when you overclock, and it shouldn't get hotter than 62c, but mine get's really fast 62c after one hour BF3 gaming :( The Core temp stays about 45c though.
I even touched the cpu cooler bottom on full load, it really doesn't feel like 60c, it doesn't even feel hot. I have trouble believing the temps which my new motherboard reads...

Here a pic of the temps i read:
2mchwl2.png.jpg

Last edited:
It's important to look at both CPU socket temp and core temp as with the Thuban core and FX CPUs it seems the core temp sensors are poorly calibrated, often giving readings that are probably 10-15c too cool. But you did say the cooler base doesn't feel very hot.

Have you done any Prime95 blend stress testing? I would suggest you do that for 20 minutes while HWMonitor is open and see what kind of temps you get. I think socket temps are safe up to about 70c but you may find instability before you get there.

How hot do the chipset heatsinks feel to the touch? Can you hold your finger tip on them without feeling like you're getting burned?

What CPU cooler are you using?

Finally, try putting a spot fan blowing on the CPU socket are and see if that brings temps down.

Ok i ran 30 mins prime95 @ 3.5ghz, but seems unstable. Heat was about 68 CPU Socket and 47 CPU Core
Now running at 3.2ghz, CPU Socket 64c, Core 44c. Seems stable.
The heatsinks feel hot, but not really burning hot, you can touch it. I remember my old motherboard, that was really hot... :p
I am using the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 cooler.

Cooling the place of the cpu socket makes a difference of 3-4c for the cpu socket temp.

If your cores were 47c at 3.5ghz I'm guessing that's really more like 62c given the calibration problems with the Thuban core temp sensors. That likely puts the processor in the unstable temp range. However, your vcore at 1.39 is from the HWMonitor pic in post #1 is pretty low for a substantial overclock. Trouble is, if you increase it, temps will go up.

Next question, what is your case ventilation like? What is the make and model of your case and how many, where and how big are the case fans? How are they arranged with regard to intake/exhaust. Poor case ventilation can also cause higher than expected temps.

My case doesn't really have a good ventilation, it is a cheap case. 1x Front Fan, Enermax T.B.Vegas Duo 120mm, 800-1700rpm: intake and 1x Back Fan(same fan): exhaust.
The CPU cooler has 2 fans, the exhaust direction shows to the back fan.

As i said, it made a max. of 4-5c for the cpu socket temp with a good ventilation for the cpu socket, The core temp was pretty much the same.

Yeah, but if your case has poor ventilation you might be trying to remove heat from the CPU cooler with warm air. Try taking the side panel off the case and running Prime95 again. If temps come down some, that's evidence your case ventilation is inadequate.

Back