• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X79 or wait for X99?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yamaharacer19

I'm thinking about upgrading my cpu, mobo, and memory. But I was wondering if I should get the X79 2011 platform mobo or wait for the X99 2011 platform mobo which should be released by Q2 of next year?

Why do you need the six cores? If you need em.. just upgrade now. Nothing in then chipset that will make a difference...that is if x99 is coming out. I habent heard or know if that would be its name either.

I think you know as much as we do about the platforms... What can we help you with in this decision?

Last edited:
I'm thinking that the 2011 platform will be the platform to get because my 1155 platform is a dead-end platform and (from what I heard in the grapevine) so will the 1150 after the refreshed haswell cpus come out later next year. So my logic is telling me to get a 2011 platform and be able to use the same platform for quite a few years longer than most. Does that sound like a logical assessment?

I'm thinking that the 2011 platform will be the platform to get because my 1155 platform is a dead-end platform and (from what I heard in the grapevine) so will the 1150 after the refreshed haswell cpus come out later next year. So my logic is telling me to get a 2011 platform and be able to use the same platform for quite a few years longer than most. Does that sound like a logical assessment?

Odds are LGA2011 is on it's last set of chips. So that's not a logical assessment. I seriously doubt X99, if it comes out, will be LGA2011.

Intel doesn't do long lifespan sockets. 775 was a freak. It's not their usual thing. Get the CPU you need NOW and don't worry about what it's going to mean for you 3 years from now.

If you're just a gamer though, the LGA2011 cpus will mean nothing to you performance wise. You need to be doing heavily multithreaded work on your PC for an Intel six core to stretch its legs.

Also, if you do go 2011, its probably time to update your GPU too. Mine's a 580 and it's due for an upgrade.

Yeah...I upgraded my GPU to a GTX770 (forgot to change it in my sig). I was also thinking about going the Z87 route too. So IDK now. I don't need new hardware right now so I guess I'll wait and see.

If you are using a 2500K now and don't have an urgent need to upgrade, I highly doubt you need a 2011 socket unless you are running some heavy threaded programs, it just isn't necessary for 90% of people. If you need a few extra threads, try a 3770k as a drop in to your current system

Last edited:
I have the 3930K and it is overkill...more heat, more energy, more sweat and my money going down the pipes...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a socket change part of the "tick" in Intel's "tick-tock" iteration strategy? So as was said; you won't get more than two total generations, max, of CPU out of a given socket until Intel changes its strategy.

Back