• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 Pro ---> X800 XT hardmod finnally cracked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@/2ct!< said:
I read in a review that ther are "4 quads" on the X800 pcb, and the pros have can have any of those quads turned off. My point is, maybe Chris and Phero had the same quads turned off, but other pros have a different set cut which they need to fix on another area?

This could possibly be the most important thing mentioned in this entire thread. I think people should start looking for one of these bridges that are laser cut, rather than just trying to do the 1-4. just my $.02

9mmCensor, as long as your pro can reach xtpe speeds on the core/mem and 16 pipelines then what difference will there be between the modded pro and the xtpe? I noticed a 3dmark03 increase of around 1500 points just doing the mod and running the bench with the same speeds after....

Chris_UK said:
9mmCensor, as long as your pro can reach xtpe speeds on the core/mem and 16 pipelines then what difference will there be between the modded pro and the xtpe? I noticed a 3dmark03 increase of around 1500 points just doing the mod and running the bench with the same speeds after....
the XT will have better ram so here is some imaginary not to scale numbers representation

Stock Speeds
Pro - 90 / 90
XT - 100 / 100 (plus an xtra 4 pipelines)
modded Pro 90 / 90 (16 pipelines same as the XT)

Overclocked
XT - 110 / 110 (plus an xtra 4 pipelines)
modded Pro 100 / 100 (16 pipelines same as the XT)

When overclocked the modded pro should preform at the same level as the XT, when its at stock speeds.

But due to the better ram in the XT the XT should be able to clock higher (mem wise) than the Pro.

invisible hand said:
There is no XT, there is only an XT PE, which in fact is just a XT with PE at then end :eek: It's just stupid marketing.

Actually there is...ATI released the X800 Pro. Then they're going to release the X800XT PE and X800XT. X800XT PE is just a higher clocked version of the X800XT to compete with the 6800 Ultra that will eventually come out. X800XT competes with the 6800GT.

X800 Pro has 2.0ns memory which is rated for 500MHz
X800XT PE has 1.6ns memory which is rated for 625MHz

X800 Pro comes at 450MHz memory stock and the X800XT PE comes with 560MHz memory stock. X800 Pro's memory should easily oc to match the 500MHz of the X800XT. But when the X800XT PE is oc'd...it should be a different matter

Silent Buddha said:
Actually there is...ATI released the X800 Pro. Then they're going to release the X800XT PE and X800XT. X800XT PE is just a higher clocked version of the X800XT to compete with the 6800 Ultra that will eventually come out. X800XT competes with the 6800GT.

I thought ATI had the X800Pro and X800XT and Nvidia had the 6800GT and 6800 Ultra. Then Nvidia announced a 6800 Ultra Extreme with higher clocks to 1 up the X800XT. So ATI played their game and announced the X800XT PE with higher clocks. Since then I haven't heard anything about the Ultra and XT. Its all been about the Ultra Extreme and the XT PE.

Yes, mainly because the 6800 Ultra and X800XT PE captured everybody's attention to see who would be crowned king. But the 6800GT and X800XT will be released. The 6800 Ultra and X800XT PE will be released in far few quantities.

The modded x800 pro, even at the same speeds as the xt wont be exactly the same as the xt has lower latency memory if I am not mistaken. Not a huge advantage, but an advantage non the less. Kinda like difference between cas 2 and cas 3 ram. I could be wrong thou.

When you flash to X800XT BIOS, the memory timings also get changed. So if your X800 Pro memory can run at the higher speed and timings, then it's fine.

Vrykyl said:
hows it going bobmanfoo? any luck yet?

sorry for the lack of update guys been out of town, but it is still a no go. hmmm being that the only successful mods is with the Saphires i don't think my BBA x800 will work. i know i did the mod right, i even checked with my 30X trichome hand microscope. and no you don't have to flash the bios. anyone else try with the BBA x800? let us know.....

I just tried the mod on my X800-Pro sapphire retail and it was a big fat no-go as well. I think we need some more time and different appraoches.

Here is a shot of the virgin contact points:

You can totaly see the lazer cut trace.

Attachments

• DSCF0050.JPG
    DSCF0050.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 212
Here is a shot of the bright copper contacts after I exposed them with the tip of a exacto knife.

Attachments

• DSCF0054.JPG
    DSCF0054.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 210
And here is a shot of how I connected them. I used silver "Circuit Writer" conductive pen. Btu it didn't do any good.

Attachments

• DSCF0058.JPG
    DSCF0058.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 210
hmmm that sucks.... strange how the first 3 attempts worked at the oc.uk site,and no one afterwards

t1mex said:
Excellent pictures krag, its a shame it didn't work for you.
Thanks bro, i got this screamin' new digital camera Fuji 5700 and it has the bomb features and closeup shots.

Yeah bobmanfoo, no one else to my knowledge has been able to replicate the process. :confused:

Krag, if you feel confident you could scrape between the points in a line exposing more of the copper underneath the laser cut as in this picture :

DSCF0054.JPG

This is how I got it working, I tried exactly what you did with no go either, but after I scraped the line the pipes were enabled. I have read of a few other successes now but only with Sapphire cards, all other models are a no go so far :|

Back