• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X99 Today- Which Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

What's going on guys. Looking for some help/insight here. Next project will be X99. I wanted to know now that X99 has been out a while what mother boards you guys recommend? I want something to over clock well with, that can run SLI with no issues, and have the usual host of goodies, LED debug,, clear cmos, power/reset buttons, good audio, support for M.2, plenty of PWM fan headers etc. Do I really need to drop $500+ to get a solid board for X99? Something that I don't need to worry about long term. Looking to pair this with a 5820K.

Thanks for the help
:thup:

So many projects.........................you are all over the map! Buying this, selling that... perhaps consider settling down a bit and focus. :p

Do I really need to drop $500+ to get a solid board for X99?
Nope.

ASRock X99 OC Formula wuth USB 3.1 = $320: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=X99_OC_Formula-_-13-157-596-_-Product

That is arguably the best overclocking board on the market... do you need it? Only if you plan on going LN2 on this platform... If you are only water/chilled water at best...something like this midrange MSI X99 Gaming M7 and others right around there will be fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=msi_x99_gaming_7-_-13-130-839-_-Product

No LN2 (yet) ED, I need to get some tyime under my belt on air. I might consider an AIO for this though to keep the CPU cool, from doing research on this chipset I see the AIO's do let you OC further than just air even if using a Noctua such as I have on hand, unless those reviews were mistaken?

Just seems like the reviews are all over.

I quickly found the limits of the 860K especially when trying to bench 3D, so the skylake build will be the daily/gaming rig and I want to swap out the AMD setup for X99 to bench with and have fun pushing GPU's.......

Skylake would be the better benching platform for you IMO. Take the money you would spend on the X99 and invest in some cooling so you can push a bit further.

Skylake would be the better benching platform for you IMO. Take the money you would spend on the X99 and invest in some cooling so you can push a bit further.

May I ask why for my own educational purposes? The stuff I have read thus far states the opposite so I am curious. :thup: Would save me from building another computer. For my Skylake build i got a binned 6600K

Because, as was explained in an earlier thread of yours, X99 is good for MODERN 3D (3DMark 06 on forward) benchmarks. Those benchmarks have a heavy CPU element in them, in particular their physics tests. The more cores you have the better your score will be in those benchmarks. But for 2D, its no different than any other chip. That said, if you only have that air cooler on a 140W chip (5820K) you will only be able to get so far... While with a 92W chip and air, you can get a bit further, AND run 2D on a chip that has a lot of submissions thus giving you a higher potential for boints.

That said, because you got a 6600K, that went out the door for 3D because of a lack of cores. You would want to go 6700K for a solid 'all around' CPU. It has the speed for 2D, and the threads for solid 3D scores.

Yeah didn't realize you alrewady had the 6600

Been waiting on my GPU for about a week. It will arrive today. This was specifically to be for "gaming" hence why I didn't fork out the extra for the 6700K. The rest of the parts have been sitting here waiting to be put together :)

- - - Updated - - -

Because, as was explained in an earlier thread of yours, X99 is good for MODERN 3D (3DMark 06 on forward) benchmarks. Those benchmarks have a heavy CPU element in them, in particular their physics tests. The more cores you have the better your score will be in those benchmarks. But for 2D, its no different than any other chip. That said, if you only have that air cooler on a 140W chip (5820K) you will only be able to get so far... While with a 92W chip and air, you can get a bit further, AND run 2D on a chip that has a lot of submissions thus giving you a higher potential for boints.

That said, because you got a 6600K, that went out the door for 3D because of a lack of cores. You would want to go 6700K for a solid 'all around' CPU. It has the speed for 2D, and the threads for solid 3D scores.

And as I have stated before ED I "prefer" doing 3D benches, I enjoy it more. We all like different things sometimes right :)

Just a side note. Learning to tune your system for 2D will help your scores in 3D as well. Just my 2 cents

EM you got pm from me before I noticed this thread. Generally there is about the same as here ;)
If you need X99 board mainly for benching then there is also X99M Killer 3.1 -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57601&cm_re=x99_killer-_-13-157-601-_-Product
I have no issues with OC results about as high as ASUS RVE and it's the best X99 mobo for memory overclocking. If you have money then go for X99 OCF 3.1. If you want to save some and don't need full ATX format then Killer is good option.

Back