• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xbmc lags....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
i just put a fresh install of windows 7 x64 on the computer yesterday, got drivers all installed, everything is great, but when i play a move, at random it will get all skippy, like a cracked record or a scratched CD, i know its not because of the network as i have used the same exact setup for streaming much larger files than i was yesterday i think the ones yesterday were like 1MB/s rate.

1. if paused for a few seconds it would resume playing normally
2. i left task manager running in the background, checked alt tabbed out of xbmc you could see a sharp ^ it went to 100% and when alt tabbed out it dropped back immediately. other than that it hovers at ~5% durring play back.
3. im using the new xbmc 12
4.windows 7 x64
5. i disabled any overclocks set everything back to default.
6. e6600 (now at stock 2.4) 4gb ddr3 1333 HD5450
7. issue is completely random and happens no matter the source, even my daughter's 300mb movies.

Since xbmc 12 is fairly new and you didn't have these issues before, have you tried xbmc 11? I assume you are playing your files from a network location as you mention the network in your post. What are the files stored on and is it running low on space? You also mention that if you pause it for a bit and then un-pause, it plays fine. This would make me think it's a buffering issue. I would try xbmc11 first.

Since xbmc 12 is fairly new and you didn't have these issues before, have you tried xbmc 11? I assume you are playing your files from a network location as you mention the network in your post. What are the files stored on and is it running low on space? You also mention that if you pause it for a bit and then un-pause, it plays fine. This would make me think it's a buffering issue. I would try xbmc11 first.

yea i was just thinking about that, il go back to 11 and see how that works for now. i really liked the settings on 12 though :( lol

You could always try one of the nightly builds, if you are really set on 12. Would you say it's a major overhaul or just some minor changes.

You could always try one of the nightly builds, if you are really set on 12. Would you say it's a major overhaul or just some minor changes.

id say it was a pretty good overhaul, at least from what I've experienced in a day of use, and using the metrolopis(?) skin. not sure if thats the one i tried, but it lagged before i applied that skin. its the one with a TON of media info.

also i dont see it being a buffering problem because nothing with the network or server has changed at all server still has the same disk usage as well. only thing changed was the cpu, it actually had an e8400 before this, but before that it ran fine with an e2180 / HD5450 so im guessing it probably is something with 12.

I've been on v12 since October 1st. I like to run nightlies, as you can get the "new version" a few months early usually while they work out bugs in things that I don't actually use.

I wouldn't expect you have a driver or compatibility problem with 12, but I would consider it more likely that you have to optimize your configuration of XBMC. Under video settings, you could tweak things there.

I would first go to system>video>playback then possibly toggle DXVA2. Possibly change render method (I leave mine on autodetect though). Consider changing A/V sync method. Basically any of that is an option. Mostly, DXVA2 has helped when I see lag in video playback.

When you are viewing a video in XBMC, you can press the "O" key (o as in oh, not zero) on the keyboard to get important playback stats. If drop is >0, you might have a problem, if drop is growing, you definitely have a problem. You can also get an idea of "live" bitrate here as MB/s will let you know how detailed the scene is - you are mostly likely to see drops above 20MB/s. I

alrighty thanks I.M.O.G. il give that a try first. i dun wanna go back to v11 lol.

one thing i like about this v12 is the audio options such as audio passthrough and stuff like that, my receiver decodes almost any audio so its just passed through to the receiver through hdmi :D (im no audiophile just makes me feel sophisticated idk if it even matters rofl) im not really that great with a/v stuff nor to technical with it i just want it to work :p maybe shake a few things off the walls in the process :rofl:

sorry i never updated you guys, Matt was right enabled that dvx2 or what ever and bam no more stutter thank you matt you da man! :D

Back