• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XBOX Controller Modding (USB Power source?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I read somewhere that the xbox controller ports are nothing more than modified usb ports. So you can wire a keyboard to it and intsall linux. Fun stuff. What I want to do is connect the two vibration motors to the usb powersource so whenever the controller receives power (ie. when the xbox is on) its vibrating. I'll put some pictures up of what I mean. Which cable is the power cables on the usb. And I have a back up one to mess with first.

Pics

Here's some pics:
These are the two motors that I'm going to connect to the power source, I'm assuming black wire is ground, the other is 5v?

xboxmotor1.gif
xboxmotor2.gif

Here's the mainboard of the controller: The usb on this doesn't have 5 wires, it has 6. It goes Big Black, Little Black, Yellow, Green, White, Red.

xboxusb.gif

I'm thinking the little black is the ground, red is 5v, and that big black is something extra because it disappears after this thingy:

xboxcord.gif

More help plx

And this is actually a gag gift for a male friend. I'm gonna put a hole in the middle of it ;P

the yellow wire is nothing, the red one is the 5v and the black one is ground. the second black one is probably ground for the shielding on the cable.( im talking about the controller wires)

so connect red to red and black to the black that goes all the way

Or you could just mod the controller to fit into your USB port. Then you would have the extra controller. With the drivers installed, there is an option on a tab somewhere that tests the vibrators....

I feel almost dirty saying that...

anyway, you just have to plug it in, go to the option to test them, and then just turn them on full.

Very funny!

I got it to work. The big black cable is the grounding for the shielding of the cable, so it doesn't make a difference. The point isn't so I can make it vibrate on command. It's going to my friend with a hole in it and some lotion. I figured having it vibrate would be a great added touch.

Back