• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon not getting on with RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tim4rd2000

Registered
Ok so I have a p5n32-e Sli plus and Im using an intel xeon X3210 at 2.13ghz. I want to overclock and if I increase it I just get a continuos single beep at star up that doesnt stop until you reset. Now I ring my uncle (im'a ignorant 14 year old :p) and he says its to do with the RAM. the ram spec is

GeIL is proud to announced DDR2 800MHz, PC6400 800MHz supports CAS 4-4-4-12 with 1GB and 2GB Dual Channel Kits. These Ultra modules are hand picked for maximum FSB overclocking potential.

- PC6400 800MHz CAS 4-4-4-12
- 64x8 DDR2 BGA Chips
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- Aluminum Heat-spreader
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB
- Lifetime Warranty
- 1.9V-2.3V Power Supply

I have the timings at 4-4-4-12 so would I have to change that at all to get the overclocking working.

I have a 550w (I think) Hiper PSU which is pretty decent.

Please dont get too complicated :)

Cheers, Tim

Ok so I have a p5n32-e Sli plus and Im using an intel xeon X3210 at 2.13ghz. I want to overclock and if I increase it I just get a continuos single beep at star up that doesnt stop until you reset. Now I ring my uncle (im'a ignorant 14 year old :p) and he says its to do with the RAM. the ram spec is

GeIL is proud to announced DDR2 800MHz, PC6400 800MHz supports CAS 4-4-4-12 with 1GB and 2GB Dual Channel Kits. These Ultra modules are hand picked for maximum FSB overclocking potential.

- PC6400 800MHz CAS 4-4-4-12
- 64x8 DDR2 BGA Chips
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- Aluminum Heat-spreader
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB
- Lifetime Warranty
- 1.9V-2.3V Power Supply

I have the timings at 4-4-4-12 so would I have to change that at all to get the overclocking working.

I have a 550w (I think) Hiper PSU which is pretty decent.

Please dont get too complicated :)

Cheers, Tim

I dunno, but that more likely is because your RAM timings are too aggressive.

Or, some motherboards don't like it when you lower the CAS.

The timings are too tight on the ram, try loosening them up a little 5-5-5-15 or something like that is what he means.

This board also has FSB 'holes', meaning it can boot @ higher FSB in some instances than where it fails with the exact same settings. It's the reason alot of people pull their hair out when overclocking 680i boards. You just have to play around...alot until you find the settings that work for you. It would also help you to look @ someone elses BIOS configs. Find a thread where they talk about this board, there's a big one on XS for example.

Back