• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xeon on a p9x79

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

russh

Hi All, and thanks for having me

I have a question to start off. Although the CPU is not listed in the supported CPUs, but would a Xeon E5-4617 work on a Asus P9X79 LE board?

There is an equivalent MSI board (X79A-GD65 (8D)) that has the Xeon listed as compatible, but having had asus board for every build I have ever done, I want to stick with Asus.

By the way, the reason I am going for the Xeon is the applications I run suit well to 6+ cores with 4 memory channels.
I plan to use the Xeon as a fill in until the IVy Bridge-E is released and the price begins to drop on them (by then the Haswell-E might be out, depending if its on a socket 2011)

Hi All, and thanks for having me

I have a question to start off. Although the CPU is not listed in the supported CPUs, but would a Xeon E5-4617 work on a Asus P9X79 LE board?

There is an equivalent MSI board (X79A-GD65 (8D)) that has the Xeon listed as compatible, but having had asus board for every build I have ever done, I want to stick with Asus.

By the way, the reason I am going for the Xeon is the applications I run suit well to 6+ cores with 4 memory channels.
I plan to use the Xeon as a fill in until the IVy Bridge-E is released and the price begins to drop on them (by then the Haswell-E might be out, depending if its on a socket 2011)

Cant help with any thing else but haswell e will be a new socket with ddr4

Thanks Console, the limits me to Ivy Bridge-E for future then, which is fine

Thanks for the "welcome" rc185

Anyone any idea of the P9X79 & Xeon E5-4617 comparability?

Ok, great, will stick with the asus board then

Another question. The E5-4617 shows as supporting memory DDR3-800/1066/1333/1600.
Does that mean I cant use 2000 / 2400 Mhz memory

Intel supports up to 1600 @ stock to get those higher ram speeds you OC ( or change a divider )

If you would like to be certain, get a board with that CPU on the compatibility chart. If it's not there, I wouldn't risk it personally, but that is just me.

The reason for me choosing the E5-4617 is that I can pick this CPU up for £150 (for a QS C1 Rev model inc VT-d), while the 3930k is £462.

That's a £312 saving. Although I appreciate I will not be able to over clock the E5 which is a downside.
But on the upside, The E5 supports PCI 3.0 which will suit my Graphics Card better, and I can go past the 64Gb memory limit of the 3930k (memory is a big part of my usage).
Also, for near enough the same money for a 3930k + MB, I have the option of going for dual E5's on a Z9PE (which I have not fully discarded the idea of yet).

The MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) has the E5 listed as supported, and Ive read some good reviews on that board. But Ive also read some bad reviews of MSI, and having used Asus for as long as I can remember, I would prefer to stick with them.

Back