• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP HOME 32 bit to WINDOWS 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcard1869

Registered
I have xp home 32 bit on my desktop.Can I go from xp 32 bit to windows 7 or 8 64 bit with upgrade or do i need to buy full WINDOWS 7 OS to switch it to 64 bit? I have gaming rig with xp 32bit that only sees 3 gb of ram instead of the full 8gb ram.

No, you can't do the "upgrade" thing. BUT you can do a clean install from an upgrade disc (search google to find out how).

I will also say that if you are a student at a university, you can probably get windows 7 for like 10 bucks. That's how I've managed to stay up with operating systems for the last few years.

I think there is some confusion on the question. You won't be able to do an upgrade install with the Windows 8 disk, but you can buy the upgrade version. You will have to do a clean install to switch, but an upgrade license is perfectly fine.

Clean install only.
The W8 upgrade disc supposedly checks the validity of your current OS then allows you to do a full format and install.

Just make sure your hardware can handle it.

i have a valid xp home install wga and all....relatively new hardware...

I have read that once you upgrade your XP key will no longer be valid in case you decide to go back.

so what about my old xp hp pavilion?...it wont be any good for that?...what about linux or ubuntu?

Also consider keeping your existing installation of Windows XP and installing Windows 8 on another partition or hard drive.

That way you have a dual boot which can come in handy when things are not working in one OS, maybe they will in another.

You will have to reinstall everything on a Win Vista/7/8 upgrade disc, there is no switching to them "over Windows XP", it's a completely separate installation.

Back