• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP SP2 / Internet Explorer problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Was surfing along, minding my own business, when WHAM... Internet Explorer stopped finding webpages and I lost my sound device. My IM still worked, so I knew that I was connected online and so the LAN was still ok.

Please hold the lectures about IE, because I don't wanna hear them.

After trying many things, I finally uninstalled service pack 2. Amazing, everything worked again... well, I did have to reinstall the sound card drivers. Weird. Something must of trashed my Windows registry I guess.

Was SP2 slipstreamed or was it the Windows Update install? From what I have experienced, and also read on quite a few forums, slipstreams are a lot more stable. Also I would recommend doing a virus scan and a spyware scan. A lot of people claim to have problems with SP2, when in fact it usually has nothing to do with SP2. But if your system seems to be running quite a bit better, I would say leave it the way it is. Might have been an incompatibility with some of your hardware. I know one of my friends lost his dvd-rw when he installed SP2, but I have been running it without any problems since December. What works on my system may not work on yours, and what works on someone elses system may not work on that other persons. But I would try doing a virus scan and a spyware scan just to make sure that it isn't one of those messing with your registry. And if it is you might catch it before it is able to do any serious harm.

It was a Windows update install. Can you explain what a "slipstreamed" means?

The thing is, I had been running SP2 for 3-4 months with zero problems. I've done no hardware changes within the last couple of months and no new programs within the last month.

I have up-to-date Norton antivirus and firewall. I had done a complete virus scan the day before the problem. I use Ad-aware regularly. Not sure what happened. Think my system hiccupped, coughed, sneezed, and farted all at the same time or something.

slipstreamed means taking the regular XP CD with no SP and putting the SP2 files on it so when you install XP, it installs XP with SP2 already installed as well.

it's weird that you had that problem. I've had no problems and neither did you up until that point.

Back