• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP SP3 listing "Display adpaters" under "Unknown" instead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

A buddy asked me to fix up his GFs machine.
It is an MSI Mega 180, an nForce2 based system, Sempron 2500+, 512MB and Radeon 9600 Pro.
The problem with it is that Windows lists the video card under "Unknown" instead of "Display adapters" in Device manager with an error code 10.
This means Windows is using the standard VGA driver, there is no hardware acceleration (the desktop is choppy) and the resolutions are limited to 4:3 ones.
I've tried reinstalling the latest chipset and video card drivers.
The problem occurs when using the Radeon and also when I remove it and just use the built in GF2 MX IGP.
I understand that doing a clean install is the easiest fix here, but I'm trying to avoid formatting to keep all of the files and user configuration as is.

Capture074.png

Download Driver Sweeper

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

And then update the BIOS to that motherboard, so you'll have to search for it at MSI's site.

There used to be issues with nForce2 chipsets and Radeons, which I've experienced before and was fixed with a BIOS update.

Also, are you using the US Drivers or International drivers for both the nVidia and Radeon?

I did use driversweeper, btw that link is no longer working :)
I have the same result if I remove the Radeon and use the built in IGP.
And it already has the latest BIOS installed.

Last edited:
Back