• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2100 Prime95 sum out error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't say that Prime95 is useless, but I do think that it is over-used. I have seen several computers running all stock (default) settings fail Prime95, but these same computers work fine for weeks/months at a time under normal usage without any problems at all. I think you have to take into consideration what the computer is going to be used for, and what you hope to achieve as far as stability is concerned.

If you are building a gaming computer and it will run all of your games for hours on end without problems, then does it really matter that it crashes after 24 hours of running Prime95? I guess each user must decide for themselves.

Because I used to be carried over with it, passed all the benchies out there but fail Prime. I have been running at this setup for weeks without any problem. I guess dont be too concerned with it. As long as the computer is stable........

it all goes back to your definition of stability. it even says this in the Stress.txt in prime95. for some people, being able to play their favorite game for 3 hours straight, counts as "stable." but for some people, they have to be able to pass 72 straight hours of prime. its all a matter of perspective. if you can play games all day long, but prime crashes after an hour, then thats good enough for most people. personally, i dont count it as rock solid until it can run prime for at least 24 hours, with normal usage during the test. its all just personal opinions.

So, because your computer is instable and prime shows you this, it sucks? IT IS A STABILITY TESTER! Just because you don't like your results, it doesn't mean that Prime sucks. Don't shoot the messenger. Some people like to know that their system will be 100% stable when put to any task. Some people are only concerned with the tasks they do. If your one of the first group. Prime is a fantastic stability tester. If you're one of the second, you don't need a stability tester.

I agree totally Myself prime isn't the only thing I use to test stability but it is where I start from. If prime will not pass for @ least 12 hours then I know there is instability somewhere so therefor I recalcuate and change settings to have her stable again. As I said above prime isn't the only thing I test but if prime isn't stable why proceed.

Back