• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yay!! Finally part of the 4GHz club!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well that setup at that voltage was officially stable for 4 hours of Orthos and GPU Caps and before I went to bed I did have 2 freezes, one when playing Company of Heroes and one when playing COD4. Temps while gaming were brilliant!!

Just a little more tweaking and this should be fine, have to play with VTT, PLL and GTL_REF's I bet, need to read a bit on all those settings as I'm an old timer from the P4 era, we only had Vcore and that was that!

Congrats man... some seriously nice clocks!! If you can get them gaming stable you will be laughing!!

Have you OC'd that 285 yet........? :D (i know that you have clocks in yer sig but i dont know if thats stock or much over stock or what)

Well I did game on it for a few hours last night with only to freezes and believe me I was laughing all the way. :) It is a wonderful experience caping the frame rate at 60fps with VSYNC and playing racing games like DiRT with every detail on its highest setting, 1920x1200 with 6x AA and 16x AF forced in the control panel and the frame rate NEVER drops from 60fps its just rock solid like it should be.

As for the card's clocks I have a vanila (reference stock clocks) version of EVGA's GTX 285 and I have it clocked in par with the FTW edition (at least in terms of core and memory). I haven't really put my fists up to the card yet.

Last edited:
Final DAILY usage setup

Well I was able to get 4.5Ghz stable at 1.5v (within CPUz) but temps where hovering in the high 70's and after 5 hours of Orthos and GPU Caps I would get a freeze, most likely due to temps as when I let the temps cool down and I gamed for a good few hours and ran 3DMark06 runs I never got an issue, just a generally high CPU temp. So I know my chip is good, it can get to 4.5Ghz easily (I saved my O.C. profile just in case) and maybe more but not without better air cooling or water cooling which I'm not going to invest in at this point in time, maybe when summer comes around I'll build myself a kit (started looking at whats in offer at FrozenCPU.com).

I went on a quest last night to get the perfect daily usage setup for my O/C looking for the highest possible fsb running 4.0Ghz at stock voltage and hunting down the fastest memory performance possible. I tried 2125mhz FSB with an 8x multiplier to get to 4.3Ghz stable but I had to use at least 1.4v of VCore to get it stable and although temps where not in the high 70's they still crept between high 60's and low 70's so I backed down to 4.0Ghz. Also at 2125mhz with a 3:2 memory divider my RAM had to be run at 9-9-9-28 2T wich basically negated the added speed in terms of overal bandwidth and latency.

I settled for 2000mhz FSB, 8x multiplier on the CPU (4.0Ghz), 3:2 divider on the RAM (1333mhz stock 1.7v (bios) and 7-7-7-20 1T) lowered tRC down to 30 (can probably test and make this lower still), was able to keep my NB voltage at 1.42 (bios), enough to keep it stable and cool. 5 hours + stable with awesome temps and great memory bandwidth. 3DMark06 was definitlely slower tan with the 4.5Ghz run but still very fast. I've officially set this to my daily setup. I'll still be testing and medling with my cpu and my memory to see if I can push them a little bit further, I don't think I've really gotten to know my RAM well enough yet to run it over stock specs fast and stable.

Here's the stability run after 5hours 20minute:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/nttdemented/40GhzHighFSB.jpg

Here's the Sandra Memory Benchmark:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/nttdemented/500mhzFSBMEM.jpg

Cheers to all!! :santa:

Well this is gonna be pretty close to 24/7 clocks, I like to run my chips 24/7 under 1.4vcore. I'm thinkin maybe around 4.4ghz for final 24/7 clocks, anyway here it is for now. Love this chip so far!

4230.JPG

Found another match made in heaven...the DDR3 version of the all popular UD3P, this time with a retail Q9650

Attachments

• q9650retail2.gif
    q9650retail2.gif
    75.1 KB · Views: 144
Hello guys, I'm new here...this thread enticed me to register...
I also have the p5k deluxe and the q66
I have a successful oc of 3.7ghz
I cannot achieve 4ghz
My question is ...I see some of you chose to swich to the e86
Is that really a better processor???
Is it worth the swich from the q66???
I mostly game so I do need over 4ghz
Right now the q66 resale is high so chances. Are I can upgrade cheeply
So is it worth it?????

What graphics card you running?

Also since the prices have dropped you can pick up a Q9650 for a very reasonable price, and they can overclock to 4GHz very easily...

oh and :welcome:

Edit: forgot to answer your E8600 question... people switch to those from low end quads because the duels can easily hit 4-4.5GHz on AIR so this makes it ideal for gaming since games arnt optimised to run on quads yet so single core clock speed is the most important thing... altho it wont be long before game developers get a hang of it, so IMO it is not worth it now to go back to a duel, especially since the prices if the 45nm quads have dropped

Thanks for the welcome
Myself I was contempletaing getting that quad
But at the same time I was told it's not worth the upgrade because I'm already at 3.7 meaning 300mhz isn't much diffrence for the price
As for quads and games this is true but gta4 which I play a lot of seems to run better on a quad then a DC
I have the asus 4870dk 1 gig and I'm gunna crossfire it soon
I also just orders the asus sonar d1 sound card
I feel the on board audio with the p5kdeluxe is great but I was told I should upgrade so I did because I do a lot of music and bluray etc etc
I also have the kenisgton hyperx ram 1066 4 gigs of it
I'll get some more full system specs later I'm on the iPhone now
Thanks for the helpful info

I just recalled I have a screenshot of a brief 4ghz SPI run with my Q6600. So can I join? :burn:

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 116
i just learned something after reading thease forums all night long...
i was able to bench my q66 @ 4.2 but the problem is its at 60c...
i tried the same config again and it wouldent even post
i had to push voltages to 1.6 vcore
and pll 1.8

I'm already at 3.7 meaning 300mhz isn't much diffrence for the price

Not entirely true... the Q6600 is a 65nm chip and the Q9650 is a 45nm chip, clock for clock the Q9650 is 10% faster if they are clocked the same. I know what you mean tho, i went from a QX6700 @ 3.6GHz to a Q9650 and it made a huge improvement!! So don't let the fact that its only 300MHz put you off... its more than that...

I wouldnt be comfortable putting 1.6v through that chip for everyday use, its only gonna die quicker... is 60 degrees idle or load temp? im guessing idle but thot id better ask...

:welcome: to the club downer... altho it was brief, it is good none the less!! :clap:

:welcome: to the club ScottF41!!

Nice clock on that Q9550... got to love the 45nm quads!! :D

i started my own thread for overclocking with the specs..i feel bad highjacking this thread with all that stuff...

Back