• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet, another newbie request for help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

luv2race

I was looking for help on overclocking my pc to get close to the 4GHZ mark. I am new to this for the most part, I last overclocked back when I had a Asus A7V with a Duron 900 (pencil unlocked). Stats of PC are as follows (Running stock), I am looking for others with about the same setup that can help walk a person through this. Thank you.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Cooling: Corsair H50 Dual 120mm Fans Push-Pull
Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB)DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 9-9-9-24 /
Graphics: MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870 1GB X2 Running Xfire
Case: Lian Li PC-V1200
PSU: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W
HDD1: Intel X25-M 120GB SATA II MLC (SSD)
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
HDD3: Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
HDD4: Western Digital WD15EARS 1.5TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive1: LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner iHBS212
Optical Drive2: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer iHAS424-98

Probably way more info than you need :)'

Attachments

• pc.png
    pc.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 190
I guess the first thing is did you read the stickies which Dolk typed up?

If you still need more assistance just increase your multi by 1 until you reach x20. If you machine won't boot or hangs when running Prime95 you need to increase voltage.

You also need to make sure CnQ and C1E are both disabled.

CPU/NB Frequency may also need a bump to something like 2400.

Things to make sure you don't do;
CPU above 1.55v
CPU/NB no higher than 1.2v
Temps above 55°c at core

4Ghz is pretty easy to get, above that however you are somewhat on your own as each chip is a little different. Some will crank 4.3 stable with no problems others need a lot of work to get there.

I note your core temp is 0 C under full load! Something wrong there! Do you have ACC or other core unlocking scheme activated? Turn it off. You don't have any cores to unlock anyway and it will interfere with monitoring core temps. As of now you are only seeing temps for the CPU (socket area). Core temps are the critical ones. Also turn off turbo boost so that your overclocking boost. It can cause instability in overclocking.

Ok, thanks for the help so far I have read Dolk's guide and have tried a few things with no success my pc just fails to boot :( keep having to revert back to my saved stock bios settings. have a few pics of my bios if someone could please walk and idiot:chair: through this process :)

Thank you.

Attachments

• bios1.png
    bios1.png
    254.9 KB · Views: 170
  • bios2.png
    bios2.png
    256.7 KB · Views: 164
  • bios3.png
    bios3.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 165
First of all, it looks like you have jacked your fsb all the way up to 250 mhz. I expect what has happened is your are driving your memory past stability at that fsb speed and that is why it won't boot.

The other likely problem is your CPU voltage is way too low to be stable at 4 ghz. You have the CPU voltage set to "Auto" in bios. Bump it up to about 1.4v.

You have a black edition CPU with an unlocked multiplier. Why not just overclock with the CPU multiplier and leave the CPU frequency at the stock 200 mhz.? Somewhere in that first bios screen shot at the top there has got to be a setting for changing the CPU multiplier. Check out the options under "CPU Specificatins", "CPU Feature" and "OC Stepping". Right now OC Stepping is disabled. What does it show if you enable it?

Also, when you upload pics of CPU-z, we need shots of "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". You left out the "SPD". SPD shows us the manufacturer's recommendations for voltage and timings at various ram speed settings.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will try this and get later. Also thanks for the info on posting of the Cpu-z info.

Attachments

• cpuz.png
    cpuz.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 166
:welcome: to OCF!

1. Just to clear everything out I would use "Load Optimal Defaults" in BIOS to set everything back to stock.
2. After you reboot from Load Optimal, make sure CoolNQuiet, C1E, and TurboBoost are disabled.
3. Make sure "Unlock CPU Core" is Disabled and "CPU Core Control" is set to Auto or 6.
4. Set CPU Voltage to 1.35v and CPU VDD Voltage to 1.35v (or as close as you can get it).

Now all you have to do is increase the "Adjust CPU Ratio" to 17X and you're overclocked! :)
Open CoreTemp then run Prime95 for 5-10 minutes to check for stability and measure the load core temp. If the load core temp is under 55° then you're good to continue overclocking. All you need to do there is keep increasing the CPU Ratio until a stability test fails. If the load core temp exceeds 55° then you're done overclocking until you get better cooling.

Tried what both of you had mentioned above and first time, had to clear cmos to bring it back. Then tried with settings below and would not post but would load and give me a warning about the profile not able to load. I have been reading through other post, am I limited due to the amount of ram I have installed?

Attachments

• bios5.png
    bios5.png
    247.5 KB · Views: 156
  • bios4.png
    bios4.png
    271.1 KB · Views: 157
I'm a little confused about what RAM you have. Your sig is showing 2x4 Gb Mushkin but your SPD tab shows a Ninya stick and the Memory tab shows 12 Gb, not 8 Gb. Soooo, what exactly is it you're running???

If you've got three sticks in there I'd suggest you remove the odd stick for the time being leaving the pair of Mushkins. You may also need to increase your vDIMM +0.05 to 1.55v even if you're only running 2x4 Gb.

Edit
You may also need to increase the cpuNB voltages (Voltage and VDD) to 1.175v.

Good observation, QI, about the memory. So, luv2race you've got 12 gb of ram in that system? 2x2 gb and 2x4 gb? I hate to tell you but it is unlikely you will be able to reach 4 ghz with that much ram. Just puts too much load on the ICM (integrated memory controller). As I look at your system specs that is one loaded PC! 12 gb of ram, 4 hard drives, 2 optical drives and 2 very high end power sucking video cards in crossfire config.

One of the tried and true principles of PC trouble shooting is that when you are having problems, simplify! You might consider paring down the components to just essentials, at least temporarily, and see if it doesn't work better. If so, then you could start adding things back in one at a time to see what might be causing the problem. I would at least take the ram down to 4 gb and remove one of the video cards, or even go with the onboard video temporarily for trouble shooting purposes.

I have 12gb they are all suppose to be mushkin but I just noticed that myself, guess I am contacting mushkin about this, thank you. I did try a few other things and have got it to stay stable at 3.8 with AMD overdrive while it isn't the big 4, it sure isn't 3.2 :clap: I will experiment more with removing parts and such when I get a little more time.

:attn: Thank You ALL for your help. :salute:

Does everything look fine in these pictures? Ran Prime95 for 45 minutes.

Attachments

• cpuz.png
    cpuz.png
    18 KB · Views: 153
  • hdwm.png
    hdwm.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 152
  • ct.png
    ct.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 150
So what is it you are contacting Mushkin about exactly, the Ninya question?

Back