• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YMMV - 2Tb Samsung F4 $32 Open Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, weird when your post disappeared. Fair enough. Not a bad deal! This will go in the laptop, I think.

looks like there was only one which I quickly snapped up and boy did I need it. As you can see I am running low on space 92% full.

92976126.png

ummm what the crap do store? i have a 1.5tb and 1tb and i have 1.2tb free
that includes all my back ups for my computer (i have 7) + thats my file Hdd + i have the whole star trek videos ( i mean all) and much more stuff and im only using 1tb

so what are you guys putting it there? are you storing every thing you have used?

I, personally, have well over 2.5TB of Audio Projects alone - Plus 400GB of music, over 1TB of ripped movies and instructional videos, a "few" naughty things ;) , and all of my software installers for everything under the sun archived to disk (6x 2TB Hardware RAID-6). That primary array gets backed-up to another 8x 1TB Hardware RAID-6, and to a 4x 3TB RAID-5 ReadyNAS. This also gets backed up to a slew of single drives I rotate offsite.

I haven't lost a lick of important data in about 10 years now :) It's all about what your data is worth - My Audio Projects are irreplaceable - and I treat them accordingly.

:cool:

that includes all my back ups for my computer (i have 7) + thats my file Hdd + i have the whole star trek videos ( i mean all) and much more stuff and im only using 1tb

so what are you guys putting it there? are you storing every thing you have used?

Mostly blu ray backups. For reference my Star Trek: The Original Series folder alone is 500+ Gb.

Yep, Movie/TV show backups mainly. I at least have h264 encoded backups for most of mine, not Bluray rips. I just don't have the space or money for hardrives to accommodate full Bluray rips. So my Startrek TOS folder is only 170GB. :)
I have a much more humble 9.09TB array, with UnRAID, that is getting too close to full. But the HD prices right now are just higher than I can/want to spend to expand. I still have a 1.5TB that I'd like to upgrade to at least a 2TB. But I want the $65-$70 fot 2TB drive prices again (or those nice $25 for 2TB open boxes) :)

Almost 1TB of Random file backups and installer backups, etc. Including my Carbonite backup folder (for offsite backups or important documents and pictures, etc./ $59 a year for peace of mind isn't bad. And no, I didn't support Rush Limbaugh by getting that sub, actually got it through The Totally Rad Show on Rev3 :))
5.6TB of Bluray Encoded Rips
1.5TB of TV rips. Now this is a mixture of classic Bluray encoded rips and "ownloaded-day" TV rips of shows we currently DVR. Our DVR is so crappy, I mean SO crappy. The audio cuts out LITERALLY every 5-10 minutes it'll cut out for a couple of seconds. Recordings will only partially record, etc. Too many issues with it and my cable company doesn't seem to have a better box available, at least according to the tech. (This is a 4 year old box BTW)
So we set all of our shows to DVR and some of them end up watchable and are fine. Most though I just "ownload-day" and we watch them on the HTPC. Then just delete them from the DVR.

That kind of brings up my rant about legitimacy of programming and music, etc. Like our DVR thing for instance. We pay way too much money for our cable and yet I still end up "ownloadying-day" shows because our service is so terrible.

<RANT>

On a slightly unrelated note to the thread and my main post, but relative to this rant, we have been searching for a music subscription service that we can mainly use on our phones. We were using spotify for many months (at $9.99/mo) and it was decent. But the problem with it was that we had a play list setup for my daughter, for me, and for my wife to use on our respective phones. And that was fine. So on my phone for instance, I would just setup my playlist to actually download to my phone. That way I could play it without streaming and without worries of loosing signal. Well it would just randomly "decide" that a certain song wasn't actually saved locally and it would go grey and only be streaming. Which OK, that is at least acceptable. Accept that I could never get the app to actually go from offline mode to online. Then add to the fact of the annoyance that they would only allow one device to be streaming at one time. Which was never a major deal but did occasionally cause issue. :mad:

So that along with a couple of other gripes made me try a few other services. I tried Rdio, MOG, Slacker Premium, Rhapsody, and I think a couple of others as well.

And they all seemed to have terrible android apps. Rhapsody was the best out of all of them (On Android anyway) but it's major issue was actually the PC program. It's a MAJOR pain to try and build a playlist in the app. So we would do it through the PC app. That thing is total trash. It's so slugish and just plain CRAP. It shouldn't act the way it did on a 4Ghz quadcore, w/ 8GB of RAM and a vertex 2 SSD drive. it was total trash.

So what am I left with? The feeling that it's so much easier for me to PIRATE music instead. I was willing to spend anywhere from $10 to $24.99 in one case for these services but they each had a major issue that made them unusable to me.
Of course there's the option of just buying each song outright for $.99 to $1.29 each. well I don't mind spending ~$20 a month for music, but when I have to spend it all at once to get a decent playlist going, that gets a little out of my price range. You figure I'd probably spend $300-$400 for my playlist, my wife's was probably another $150-$200 and I couldn't even say my daughter's, probably another $200. I can take paying $20 a month for the next few years and eventually hitting about the same cost, but just not all at once.

So, since 'pirates' offer better service and easier access, that's the option I'm left with and that makes me angry. I was TRYING to pay these companies but yet they can't take the time to make their apps useable. 😡

</RANT>

Last edited:

On the 2tb drive in my desktop, just Steam and a few other small programs I don't want to put on my SSD - Still have about 700gb free.

On my NAS - Back ups of my steam folder, uncompressed rips from both my and my parents DVD, bluray, and music collections, anything else my parents need (work files, pictures, etc.) and back up of school work.

Back