• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You wanted a peltier water chiller, now you have one.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I gots my own water-chiller ^_^.
There was a thread on this over in Water-Cooling. So far nobody seems too impressed... although I think people are simply thinking about this the wrong way.

Maybe I'm missing the whole point of the peltier water chiller... but I just don't see why it is economically interesting.

I mean, if you purchase the double peltier water chiller ($330), you'd need your 2 powersupplies ($100~200 combined), plus waterblock ($30~70), 2 or more pumps ($40~80 combined), radiators ($10~100), fans... The total cost won't be that much lower than the cheapest phase change cooling.

I'd think the phase change cooling would let you overclock more, take up less room and leave you with a slightly smaller electricity bill.

shiyan said:
I'd think the phase change cooling would let you overclock more, take up less room and leave you with a slightly smaller electricity bill.

Basically... yeah.

However... your described scenario doesn't have to be the case. I see cheap 12v regulated PSUs on Ebay all the time. As long as you get one with sufficient amperage, you wouldn't have any problem. The thing about TEC water-chillers is that they *can* be much more efficient than the best possible radiators. The very best a standard radiator will be able to cool is ambient temperature. The very nature of a TEC chiller is that it starts out well below ambient. How much heat they can handle is then the important question.

It's all about needs I guess. If you have a space consideration to worry about, a TEC chiller might provide the best cooling for the area you can fit it in. If sound is your issue, a TEC chiller may turn out to be quieter than a phase-change cooler. If *pretty* is your goal, chrome up your TEC shroud and stare at your reflection for hours. It's just 'another' alternative IMO.

I like the way they made it a small package ,but I see it does not seem to proform very well; not buy there #'s anyhow.I have been thinking of doing something like this. With that much peilter 225x2 I would think it would run cooler under load.Too bad it is so expensive.

Hey Vonkaar I have seen pis of your tec chiller very nice indeed what kind of temps did you get with that unit? Laters

Whoa.. that was utterly crappy temps from that chiller!

Only an 80W heatload... and managed only a measily 20 C below ambient! Gaah!
What about an heavily overclocked cpu then?!? You'd be bouncing right back to ambient really quick!

Well.. that should deter people from trying dual 225W TEC setups! :)
Well... I still haven't given up... yet. But with this fact at hand it seems like this would be a good time to quit.

This product has no true reson for existing.
I mean, it's just like the their aircooled TEC thingy. It doesn't handle any (modern) heavily overclocked cpu. Sure it will do wonders for a Intel P3 !!! but who need that today?

I wouldn't spend that amount of money on a cpu I won't overclock.. heavily!

I don't see the point of slapping two 226 TECs to form a chiller when you can just slap them on the cpu directly and get much better cooling results:), but i suppose this thing is supposed to be used in combo with an existing system I would imagine and it doesn't seem to eliminate the radiator as the heat has to be disappaint somewhere else to make it effective. I would have to see it actually used in a setup to draw any firm opinions.

Back