• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your biggest program?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I forget exactly, but I wrote several thousand lines( less than 5k) for a networked texas hold em game with GUI in C++ for a CS course last term. That's including commenting which was EXTENSIVE( teacher was a commenting natzi ). Maybe 1/3 of it was comments.

Longest I've written from scratch is probably a port simulator (simulates/optimises the flow of ships & cargo through a port). IIRC is was in the 100k->150k lines, lightly commented (it's written in Pascal, which is somewhat self-documenting - I hadn't seen the code for over a year and got a call a few weeks ago to add a feature. Took all of about half an hour to get my bearings again).

The simulator (completely different to the port one) I'm working on at the moment is at about 11k of C++, and moderately commented (due to the nature of C++).

Most of the stuff I write for my own use that does some specific, unusual task (probably a program or two a week) is between a few hundred lines and 1K lines. Anything shorter I usually abuse some tool that someone else has written, possibly assisted with sed and/or shell scripts :) Longer term projects usually end up in the 5K-10K range. I don't think I've written anything for my own use over 10K simply due to getting bored and moving on to something else.

Luckily I'm an engineering student and don't have to program anything huge. My longest programming was something over 1000 lines when I had to simulate a circuit in VHDL.

Mine is 786 pages of about 50 lines per page...39300 lines, no comment. Had to do a programming competition at SDSU, got first place! Lol!

You guys will probably sneer at me with disdain but I'm proud of this anyway. My biggest program ever was something that you used with AOL 3/4, written in VB, using Win32 API to manipulate AOL's windows objects... such as buttons, text boxes, etc. You know the type of program that 13-15 year old leetmasters use to be hardcore on AOL aka progz (=. Forgive me for I was 15 at the time.

Anyway, my program didn't do all that much besides advertise certain things to chat, bust into full chatrooms, and a couple other little nothings that can be done better by a program than manually. What I'm proud of, though, is my PERFECTED chat send which A) never ****ed up, B) never got you kicked off for scrolling even though it pushed the limit as much as possible (not to be annoying, but sometimes you want your prog to do a quick 4-line at once ad/display in the chat), even if you were lagging hardcore...

It took me several hours to write up this chatsend, and many scrolling and getting kicked offline for it ;) When it was finished, one instance of using the scrolling module... like Sendchat "w00t!" used 2 pages of code! Jesus christ! But it was perfect and even on a 200 MHz system didn't lag up anything, even if it was using 100 times the CPU power a C/C++ program would have ;)

Other than that my biggest program was probably an MS-DOS batch file that I made as a menu system that got ran by autoexec.bat, for people who use my computer that don't know how to use MS-DOS... with selection for which program they want to run and stuff. I did that when I was 10 (which I thought was impressive until I heard about a 5 year old professional programmer... lol).

I've done some very basic C/C++ too but probably no projects as extensive as these two =p

cyberey66 said:
So whats the largest assembly program someone has written?

That's kind of silly considering that one line of a higher level language can easily tranlate to dozens of lines of assembly.

MarkS said:
That's kind of silly considering that one line of a higher level language can easily tranlate to dozens of lines of assembly.

I know that, but im just wondering if anyone here programmed something useful in assembly. Assembly is great for learning how simple processors work at the hardware level but I wouldn't want to program in it. The only part I liked about learning assembly is logic problems you would see on exams to the effect of, do this in the least amount of instructions or implement this instruction using only this set of instructions. If anything, its something worth looking at if you are interested in computers.

The longest I wrote in assembly is only 90 lines, when I had to learn it for class, and it could be replaced by 4 lines of higher level code.

cyberey66 said:
So whats the largest assembly program someone has written?

I wrote about 800 lines of MIPS assembly for a school project. The program consisted of a simple linked list implementation that was used to drive a simulation that ran Conway's game of life. It was one of my more painful programming experiences, but it was not entirely without instructional benefit.

About the original question, I've written a number of program lately in the 2k - 5k line range, like a simple raytracer and a client for a turn based strategy game. I'm currently working on something thats around 20k lines, but I have only wrote about 5 of them personally :) (so far).

IMO, it's not difficult to write programs with a lot of code. I'd be more interested to hear what some of the smaller, but useful, programs people have written.

BOOTFID had grown to about 3k lines of assembler (100% handwritten, of course) prior to me starting to move it across to Pascal. Now it's ~1200 lines of assembler (a PE loader) + a currently too-small amount of Pascal.

That's the only complete(ish) program I written in assembler recently. I tend to more often use inline assembler with Pascal, or make small assembler libraries for speed-critical functions (for problems where I can often sqeeze out a 50% performance boost, though this is more from careful choice of the problems I optimise rather than a universal 50% faster than compiler thing :) ).

Even though I no longer wish to get deep into programming, I have the funny feeling that I have to learn some assembly and write an assembly program before I die =p Probably x86

TreeNode said:
Probably around 10k. College assignment in C++ to make an assembler that would assemble C code into Intel Assembly language. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to make one for C++, considering classes/inheritence. Yuuck.

Let's just put it this way, I gained 25 pounds and was programming over 100 hours a week. All this in one semester. I tried to dig up the code to see how long it was, but the actual hard drive that it was stored on mysteriously lept off the top of a 4 story parking garage... twice.

Longest assembly program? I can't remember specifically, but I think last term in my architecture class I ended up writing ~200-300 lines of MIPS. I'm not even sure what it did anymore, but it wouldn't take any more than mabey 10 lines of BASIC :D

JigPu

Back