• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 Boot fails with full memory installed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtlCan

I just assembled my new computer, based on the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5, the i7-6700K processor and 32 GB HyperX Fury 2666MHz memory. When I install all 4 memory modules, the system doesn't boot, error code 55 (memory error) is shown on the motherboard LED. When I remove one RAM module from slot DDR4_1, the system boots, but obviously I only get 24 GB RAM. I have switched RAM sticks around, but get the same error. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version (F4), but no change. I have not changed any OC and voltage settings, everything runs at stock speed.

Am I missing something obvious? Does anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this?

If you only have a single stick in DDR4_1 does it still boot properly?

With only a stick in DDR4_1, system boots.
With sticks in DDR4_1 and DDR_4, system boots.
With sticks in DDR4_1, DDR4_3, DDR4_4, system boots.
With sticks in DDR4_1, DDR4_2, DDR4_4, system does not boot.
With sticks in all slots, system does not boot.

Try one stick at a time in each ram slot and see if it will boot, if you haven't already.

A single stick in any of the slots works fine ...
I wonder if this is a problem with the Gigabyte motherboard.

I haven't.
But I found that by switching sticks around I have the same problem. Wouldn't this indicate that the problem is related to the combination of slots used, rather than individual sticks?

Could be, but we're not sure yet. It's best to be sure that all ram modules are working, then we can focus on the board..

It's a time consuming task, but it's gotta be done. Try 1 stick at a time in each slot using memtest first.

Also did you check in the cpu socket to be sure you didn't accidentally bent a pin? It happens more than you know.

The CPU pins are fine.
I ran MemTest87 V6.2.0 on all sticks in all positions. No errors were found.
Based on this, can we conclude there's nothing wrong with the RAM modules?
We can also see that the RAM slots on the motherboard work fine individually.

Could it be RAM timings? Although I'm using standard timings, could they be too tight to function properly with all 4 modules?

Motherboard should boot at least at SPD profile. To check it, install all 4 modules and clear CMOS ( unplug power and remove battery for 1-2 minutes ). After that board should start at default settings.
If you make it boot then set VCCIO 1.25V , VCCSA 1.20V and check if XMP profile or any manual settings at higher frequency is working.
If you won't make it boot then contact Gigabyte as board is probably faulty or their BIOS support doesn't know what is doing.

I contacted Gigabyte who gave me the following recipe:
- remove battery & clear BIOS
- insert module into slot 1
- boot and change XMP to Profile1
- insert module into slot 2, then boot
- insert modules into slots 3 and 4, then boot
Now 32 GB should be recognized.

I get the same error '55'.
Inserting 4 sticks of RAM and running everything at standard settings shouldn't require 'special procedures' to make it work.
It speaks to the immaturity of Gigabyte's GA-Z170X-UD5 motherboard, esp. their BIOS.

Last edited:
I stumbled across a beta version of the BIOS on Gigabyte's website (F5f). With XMP Profile1, the problem persists.
But when I disable XMP, the system suddenly boots with 32 GB. This solves my problem.

What do I loose if the system cannot read XMP from the RAM?

Motherboard should read all memory modules at auto settings. If it's not then it has some design flaws.
I can boot 4x8GB on ASUS board at auto voltages up to 3200 without issues and it sees all memory modules.
I hear about memory issues mainly on Gigabyte boards or with Corsair memory modules.

I would make RMA or return board to the store.

I stumbled across a beta version of the BIOS on Gigabyte's website (F5f). With XMP Profile1, the problem persists.
But when I disable XMP, the system suddenly boots with 32 GB. This solves my problem.

What do I loose if the system cannot read XMP from the RAM?
Having just gone through a similar problem with a z170 Gigabyte mother board and Corsair DDR4 memory, I would hold off on RMA and wait for Gigabyte to straighten out its bios code. I wasted almost 3 weeks RMAing my memory only to find the replacement memory sticks displayed the same problem as my originals. The fix for me was in a beta version of the bios code. (EDIT: F5a.). Gigabyte will get it right eventually. :D

Last edited:
Motherboard should boot at least at SPD profile. To check it, install all 4 modules and clear CMOS ( unplug power and remove battery for 1-2 minutes ). After that board should start at default settings.
If you make it boot then set VCCIO 1.25V , VCCSA 1.20V and check if XMP profile or any manual settings at higher frequency is working.
If you won't make it boot then contact Gigabyte as board is probably faulty or their BIOS support doesn't know what is doing.

I just had this problem with the exact same motherboard and RAM, and this fixed it (tweaking the voltages)! Thanks so much for posting this!!

Sounds like you possibly need to boot with 1 or 2 sticks and raise the VDIMM before inserting all 4 sticks. Like my DDR 2 rig.

My motherboard would freeze at the motherboard logo before I took out a stick and raised the VDIMM.

The CPU pins are fine.
I ran MemTest87 V6.2.0 on all sticks in all positions. No errors were found.
Based on this, can we conclude there's nothing wrong with the RAM modules?
We can also see that the RAM slots on the motherboard work fine individually.

Could it be RAM timings? Although I'm using standard timings, could they be too tight to function properly with all 4 modules?

Did you check each stick with XMP profile.

Back