• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 CLAIMED to be hacked to support Coffeelake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well I tried the 2133 at 2600 1.3v and it ran fine so might just leave it until it dies,its Hynix memory too.

Its for the best... and why i despise having this conversation. It seems to come up every couple of years and, in the end, i just. Dont. Care. that the ics are 2133. Box says 3200, they are 3200... they arent overclocked until past that, lol! Forget intel marketing touting xmp as overclocking...the only thing overclocked is the IMC. Not the sticks.

For me that is like saying the GTX 1080 FTW is not a overclocked card, the only difference is XMP memory overclocking by Intel is a standard allowing a lot different speeds and timings. I agree with you the memory it self is overclocked and tested by the manufactures at different speeds and timings. Example XMP G.SKILL 3200 14-14-14-34, 15-15-15-35, 16-16-16-36, 16-16-18-38. The point I try to make every year is memory companies screw up the tested clock speed more than what you would think, because I have dealt with it a lot
my self over the years, even before XMP. Also in the forums is where I find folks with a stick or two not running at the tested speed.

LOL I just think we get caught up in semantics every couple years.:)

- - - Updated - - -

well I tried the 2133 at 2600 1.3v and it ran fine so might just leave it until it dies,its Hynix memory too.

It will do just fine for many years overclocking your self like you did.

ok thankyou,i just ordered some 3000mhz stuff anyways and thought I would try and 'kill' my 2100 by going to 2800 in the interests of science lol

damn it runs ok

Untitled.jpg

There will always be issues with memory. But there should be the LEAST amount of issues using QVL sticks and running the rated speed (XMP). If they do not work, then its likely bad sticks. It has nothing to do with them actually being 2133/2400 or w/e. Its useless information for 99% of people. Larrymoncurly and you are the only ones who hold on to that, lol!

ok thankyou,i just ordered some 3000mhz stuff anyways and thought I would try and 'kill' my 2100 by going to 2800 in the interests of science lol
you aren't killing anything. ;)

damn it runs ok

XMP memory is binned overclocked also over-voltage, adjusted timings and tested for you. G.SKILL XMP memory I have seen will over-voltage the memory to 1.50v with a lifetime guarantee and most XMP memory is 1.35v. So that is how far you can go with voltage. You will not have a problem overclocking memory your self, it will last a life time if you fallow the XMP voltage specification for the speed you want to try and clock your memory to. To get started Just look at some XMP memory specifications and give it a try. like Earthdog said I hope I did not confuse you LOL.

ah ok thanks.

so the question begs..why do they sell 2100-3300 if it all overclocks?

is it just the tighter timing on the off the shelf 3300 that is tighter than say over clocked 2600 to 3300.

as I say I'm new to the overclocking stuff..steep learning curve and sorry for hijacking the coffeelake thread.

Some overclock better than others. The lower binned memory still works, just at lower speeds, so it costs less to the consumer. Most people will never notice a difference between DDR4 2400 and DDR4 3600 in day to day tasks like browsing and email.

Last edited:
well I ordered the g skill ripjaws 3000mhz set..damn I hadn't realised memory prices had doubled since last January..ouch.

ah ok thanks.

so the question begs..why do they sell 2100-3300 if it all overclocks?

is it just the tighter timing on the off the shelf 3300 that is tighter than say over clocked 2600 to 3300.

as I say I'm new to the overclocking stuff..steep learning curve and sorry for hijacking the coffeelake thread.

Alaric is correct. With the memory you have now see if you can match the speed and timings also voltage of the memory you ordered. Looking at memory specification is how I got start overclocking memory way before XMP. A lot of memory companies don't post all the timings anymore so look at G.SKILL and Kingston. Memory that runs tighter timings is higher performance and cost more. Start a thread in the memory section.:)

Also, a program like Aida64 and/or Thaiphoon Burner will give you a lot of the timings manufacturers don't. Not all motherboards will show all the secondary timings either, but it's nice to know them regardless. No such thing as too much knowledge.

Also, a program like Aida64 and/or Thaiphoon Burner will give you a lot of the timings manufacturers don't. Not all motherboards will show all the secondary timings either, but it's nice to know them regardless. No such thing as too much knowledge.

That is so true. Also when I wrote down all my secondary timings in the past with a manual overclock compared to XMP at the same 3200 14-14-14-34 they were different in places.:)

yes cpu-z shows the timings and memory speeds also..i have been doing lot of testing today :)

I tried changing secondary timings one time. Had to pull out my windoCD after first boot attempt. Now I keep them on auto

.so yeah, that didn't go well.

I tried changing secondary timings one time. Had to pull out my windoCD after first boot attempt. Now I keep them on auto

That was my first few attempts at memory OC, so I stayed away from that voodoo for quite a while. I can't leave anything stock, so I've spend a lot of time building, testing, tuning, blowing stuff up. Engines, OS installs, whatever. LOL. I may start a thread for OC the DDR3 from my FX rig (now my daughter's rig) next. Thaiphoon Burner doesn't have that particular set in their database, but it seems to be single rank SK Hynix ICs. Can't seem to get it happy at 1866 MHz from 1600 MHz. This is addicting...

edit: I only had to dig out my install disc once this last go around! Either I'm learning or W7 Pro is a lot tougher than Home Premium was! :D

....Can't seem to get it happy at 1866 MHz from 1600 MHz. This is addicting...

edit: I only had to dig out my install disc once this last go around! Either I'm learning or W7 Pro is a lot tougher than Home Premium was! :D

Hehehe, same issue I'm having, I got my overclock figured out, but the tinkering can't stop, too much fun! Many say you don't get much performance out of it, but the process itself feels great!

BTW, that very first time I tweaked sec. timings, got running bar loading and that was done, crashed and told me I need don't remember what, but windows CD it was. Made me quite surprised that it was such an easy one shot kill!!

BOOTMGR.EXE File Missing Or Corrupt. Please insert your installation disc and restart. Press F8 for Advanced Startup Options and Select Startup Repair.

I left out the speech about new hardware, etc.. LOL

I about have it memorized. I went through some cheap Dell towers with XP before building my first rig with W7. I take things apart to learn about them and XP comes apart easy. So breaking Windows 7 was a piece of cake by then. I had one of the worst overclocking series of chips ever (first gen. Phenom) and "upgraded" my RAM to some PNY. Couldn't get a worse pair of parts to OC on a low end board. My wife at the time would ask "What time are you reinstalling Windows today?" and "We have an appointment at 3! Don't break the computer until we get back!". :rofl:

Back