• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z190 vs Z390

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am currently using an Asus Z190m Plus with an i7-6700K at 4.2 GHz, a Samsung NVMe M.2 960 Pro 512 Gb, and 32Gb RAM. This combination performs very well but it just not seems to run as lightning quick as I expected, even with a clean install a few months ago. The delays, small but noticeable, appear when booting and starting software. For example, Word does not instantaneously start as it did prior to switching from a standard SSD to an M.2 drive.

Would a new Z390 mobo show any consequential improvement or would it more likely be just a small incremental improvement? Also, would I be able to just move the M.2 drive from the Z170 board to a new Z390 board and not have to do a clean install?

Just an FYI it's Z170 and Z370. That said, you are not going to be able to use the 6700k on a Z370 chipset board, to my knowledge. What exactly does, "lightning quick" mean to you?

Last edited:
ManD is correct...that cpu wont work in z370.

Why do you think a switching to new hardware would be a fix? The platform doesn't hold that drive back...performance is the same between them.

Is the drive close to full? Have you looked at any diagnostics? Samsung software?

What exactly does, "lightning quick" mean to you?

Prior to switching to an M.2 drive, I used Samsung SATA SSDs. With the SATA SSDs, software, such as MS Word, would appear almost instantly after the double click on the desktop icon. Now there is consistently about a 2 to 3 second delay before the Word blue rectangular box appears. This is also true when starting other software, some with even longer delays I did not previously see. One application (Paperport) takes a few seconds longer to start and access large folders containing PDF files. Windows also takes a few seconds longer to get to the desktop when booting. None of this is consequential but it is is a change. I have gone to much effort over a lot of years to have my desktop computers perform satisfyingly fast. I don't have any particular reason for this I just like a computer that responds instantly and am willing to go to a reasonable expense and effort to achieve that.

I noticed this issue immediately after a periodic hardware upgrade in early 2016 when I switched to a Samsung 850 M.2 drive, new ASRock mobo, and CPU. My expectation was the M.2 drive would make the machine access and write data even faster. I again upgraded the hardware a few months ago (same CPU) with an ASUS mobo and new Samsung 860 but did not notice any improvement. Of course, all the hardware upgrades included a clean install.

With respect to your (Mandrake4565) FYI re my typo, I hope that did not distract from my question.

It appears to me the M.2 drive does not supply data as fast as the SATA SSD drives did. That is just an observation based on what I observed over the last two builds using M.2 drives. In my mind, since the mobo and associated chipset provide the management and pathways for data, it seems plausible a newer chipset (the Z370) might better manage the data transfers with the M.2 drives and provide faster performance. That was the essence of my question.

I appreciate the warning about the CPU. I did not expect that to be a problem as the Z370 boards also have LGA1151 sockets. My main question concerned the compatibility (without a clean install again) of the Samsung 960 Pro M.2. If clean installs were not a huge pain I would be curious to reinstall one of the SATA SSDs I have and see what happens.

Is the drive close to full? Have you looked at any diagnostics? Samsung software? Temp of drive? Chipset drivers installed? Did you install Samsung's driver (I think they have one)? Wh as t are benchmarks saying?

Back