• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z68x-ud3r-b3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eglinton

Registered
I have built a pc for my lad, using the gigabyte motherboard. It came with a i7 2600k
Im trying to overclock the cpu but the bios is on the uefi one, so i have no offset or llc etc.
I can manage 4.0ghz any more than that under stress testing it fails and i get the bsod.
I would like to go back the the old bios which i think is f7.
I have searched for over 2 weeks and i have tried different methods
Using efi2awd on a bootable usb i get bad bios image. (Bios downloaded from gigabyte) i cannot manage to get that method to work.
I have tried using the back to award folder which i think uses intel flash tool, but that freezes and i have to reboot.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:
Hey there! Why can't you overclock from the updated bios? Is it missing voltage (vcore) and cpu multiplier?

I can overclock to a point. I can manage 4.0ghz after that its becomes unstable and freezes as soon as i start prime 95 or intel burn. From searching the net the i7 2600k can easily manage 4.5 24/7. I do not have a option for llc or voltage offset.

I have tried using a fixed voltage adjusting the vcore to 1.35 and working my way up from 4ghz, as soon as i start the stress test it freezes. I managed to get a 4.2 by adjusting qpi/qtt voltage

your cpu voltage and qpi voltage will need to stay within .5v of each other.
I should note that I have seen Sandy Bridge cpu's that dont like much for memory frequency, so maybe try to keep it at 1333 or maybe lower for proving what is going on

My qpi is set to auto, but the value beside it is 1.05v. so if my vcore is set at 1.35 would qpi need to be 1.35 or can it be set to 1.3 or 1.4
Which would be better. How do i ivercome having no llc.
I was hoping i may be able to roll back the bios to an award bios.

actually it is the ram voltage and qpi voltage that need to stay within .5v of each other

Earthdog.
Is this the vcore voltage that we are talking about?

Dejo
Are you saying that qpi does not effect the cpu during over clocking?

I am saying that if you have your dram voltage at 1.5 the qpi voltage needs to be not less than .5v less than that or whatever your dram voltage is set to. It can be set to closer than .5v difference- just make sure the setting is not greater between them

Dejo. Thanks. I will have a look at that. My ram runs at 1.35v so i will have a go at setting qpi/vtt to 1.35 and i will set the vcore to 1.35
Hopefully this works. I havent really touched the qpi i have seen very mixed reviews on adjusting this

Earthdog.
Is this the vcore voltage that we are talking about?
Correct. All LLC does is try to prevent the voltage drop from what you set in the BIOS to load in in Windows. For example, if you set 1.35V, you may go into windows and put a load on the CPU and see it drop to 1.29V. LLC raises that load portion up. In order to compensate for vdrrop without LLC, you need raise the voltage. :thup:

How much is the voltage droop from what you set it to until load?

I have just had a look. I have 4.0ghz clock with turbo set at 44, 43, 42 and 41. Vcore is set at 1.35. just looked at hw monitor after a quick boot and maximum v core was 1.344
My qpi is still set to auto at the minute.

you wont need to set qpi to the same voltage- only worry if you start to add dram voltage. The sandy bridge chips dont really like more than 1.5 on dram voltage. Have you tried to set an all core setting rather than individual core values for the multi?

Should i still add some qpi? I have tried with them all the same, with turbo disabled, just adding a little turbo to all cores. My ram is a low voltage kingston genesis. It is on xmp profile 1 which drips the voltage to 1.35 instead of the 1.5. hope this makes sense.

I didn't ask for maximum voltage. I asked what the LOAD voltage is. You need to have a stress test running and look at your voltage real time.

Please post an image of CPUz. The memory tab and SPD tab (that shows your sticks). This way we know exactly what you are working with.

have you clicked on the Sandybridge/Ivybridge overclocking guide in my signature? It is really high level, but still may help a bit.

I also agree with setting all cores the same. :thup:

Sorry, my bad.
My vcore under load is 1.284v
I have read the guides and followed them as best i can, but seem to be stuck at 4ghz. Having no llc seems to be my problem. I have tried with everything disabled like c1e etc and with it on, upping the watts on the turbo etc.
IMG_20200810_203739.jpg
IMG_20200810_203707.jpg

I think that your turbo per core settings are what is dropping your clocks to 4.0

With the turbo, during stress test it will run at 4.1ghz but if i put the the clocked frequency to that it will freeze. I will leave everything as it is and try with turning turbo off and see what the vcore is.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

With turbo boost technology disabled under stress im still at 1.284. with turbo set at the same frequency as the clock it reads the same at 1.284

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Cpuz has my core voltage at 1.056v, that voltage on hwinfo has that same voltage under vtt and v core 1.284 underload and 1.344 when at idle

Back