• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 Asrock Vs. Asus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XCeleratedPC

Registered
For a i5-3570K which is better from a overclocking standpoint forget finanacial just for overclocking which is superior and why? More info would be that I will be using an H100i cooler and probably nothing more ever. Possibly do something more at some point but probably by that time will be doing a whole new build anyway. I am looking specifically at the ASRock z77 Extreme6 and the Asus P8Z77-V Pro or whatever im not stuck on the model really or the brand but leaning Asrock as it seems recomended frequently and inexpensive but didn't know if I would miss any functionality that I would get with other boards.

I would say that the asus v-pro is a step up over the extreme6, as there is $45 difference in them. the asrock oc formula would be a better comparison to the v-pro. I quit buying asus boards over their horrible customer service, and have bought 2 asrock boards and really like both (oc formula and the extreme6).
as far as oc'ing between the 2 boards that I have there isnt much difference in cpu clocks, but memory clocks the oc is about 150mhz better on the same rams

V-Pro also has built in wireless and bluetooth, no other major differences AFAIK. It's a better board than the Extreme6, but the Extreme6 is better bang/buck.

I'm in a similar dilemma myself. I'm considering an Extreme6, but I'm in Canada and the cheapest I can find one online is for $220, which is definitely a significant jump over what's available in the US. I can get the V-Pro here for $210, but does anyone have a cheaper board they might recommend? On-board wifi is great, and I'm also looking to do beginner overclocking.

other components:
i5 3570k
xfx radeon HD 7970
2x4gb corsair vengeance
ocz vector 158gb
ocz zt-series 750w
cooler master hyper 212 evo
nzxt full phantom (phan-001wt) case

Edit: If anyone responds to this, might as well also ask if 750w psu is too much. Would 650w make more sense?

Last edited:
If you're staying single card, even 500W is fine. Dual 7970s, 650W is possible but overclocking puts it closer than I would feel comfortable with, I'd stick to the 750W for dual.

Prices seem a bit different in Canada, I've noticed that Gigabyte board tend to remain prices pretty well. The UD3H could be a good choice for you.

I can grab that board for $160, which I'm definitely a fan of, but since I would need to pick up a Wifi card, do you think I'd be better off going for the ASUS at $210 with built in Wifi? I'm guessing that's a better board to begin with.

At the end of the day, I want SATA3, USB3.0, HDMI out, Wifi, and something that I can toy with overclocking without blowing it all up. Also, I don't know anything about motherboards, so I'm completely open to suggestions.

Thanks Ajay, but unfortunately the extreme6 is only available in-store and I'm not located near one. So the question is, do I go for the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro for $210, or do I go Gigabyte UD3H for $160 and then have to buy a Wifi card separately?

I considered the Extreme4, which I can get for $175, but since the V-Pro is only $35 more, and has the Wifi ready to go, I think it makes more sense to just go with that. Better board, has the features I want. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Yeah, the V-Pro is relatively more expensive on this side of the border. For only $35 more, it's definitely worth it.

Cool, well I made the plunge.. all parts were ordered this morning! So excited!

Thanks for your help.

the oc formula from asrock is night and day better than the v-pro the settings you can change are different entirely.

just saying id compare a asrock oc formula more to a MAXIMUS V FORMULA from asus rather for oc options.

I quit buying asus boards over their horrible customer service.

Im in that club also :D I tried an ASrock in my first venture away from Asus in years. I was kinda nervous as I had only bought Asus exclusevly for some time. Seems though I was being silly, Im on my 4th or 5th ASrock board since then and I have yet to even test there customer service as they all ran awesome.

if your in canada their rma service is flaky tho . 3rd party rma for asrock. i just finished doing a rma on my oc formula

Yes, and also IMO asus has horrible bios layouts in general. If I buy a new motherboard, it's either ASRock or Gigabyte.

Back