• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 or P67 Chipset for i5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monoles

Registered
I have an Intel Core i5 2400 3.3GHz CPU and i am looking for a new motherboard as my old motherboard (Gigabyte P67A-UD3R) broke.
The shop i am buying from stock a very large range of Z77 chipset motherboards and a very limited range of P67 motherboards.

I am asking which chipset motherboard i should get because my original Mobo was a P67 and it worked fine i guess, but after research i found the Z77 was a better motherboard, although everyone kept saying it was better for "Ivory Bridge", although my CPU is sandy bridge, not Ivory.

I use my computer for gaming (Crysis 2, COD MW2/3, etc.) and i always play with the setting cranked right up. I also use my computer for program developing (Visual Studio 2010) and use it for CAD work (Autodesk Revit/Inventor).

Which motherboard chipset; P67 or Z77, would be a better option for me?

Also, if you would like to post some motherboards that you think would be a good option and is below $250, that would be great.

Thank you!

Computer Specs:

4 x 4GB Kingston RAM (16 GB RAM)
Intel core i5 2400 3.30 GHz
1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5850
120 gb OCZ Vertex SSD
2 x 500 gb Western Digital Green HDD's (RAID 0)
Thermaltake Lightpower 700 W PSU
Motherboard - Deciding

no reason to not go with hte z77 board. price is basically the same and you gain the new features, even if you dont use them its still the bargain.

if you are thinking of overclocking, the new bios for the asrock z77 boards has what is called no-k oc, which allows you to adjust the multi on non k intel chips and is rather cool from what I have seen in reviews. I have a board that has this feature though never used it as my cpu is a k version

Back