• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 to Z97 worth the upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metlcub

Hey all
My current system is what is in my sig, Im running a Asrock Ex 4 Z77 with a 2600k OC to 4.2ghz.
Do you think it feasible upgrading to Z97, or should I just wait another year, for the new socket cpu's to come out. I just have the itch to do a build but don't need to.. I had 2 systems but didn't need the second one and parted it out.

You'd gain maybe 10% in a small number of tasks going from a 2600k to a 4770k. There's essentially no benefit to be had going from z77 to z97. I would definitely wait for the next round of CPUs and ddr4.

If you really wanted to hange some stuff up, you could get a new case (unless you already have one you like?) or maybe upgrade your GPU.

I understand the itch, though. :)

im in the same boat broski... i have a 2600k and i feel like its been 10 years since my last upgrade... i cant wait for next year...im picking up a devils canyon the day its released lol

I would stick with the 2600K for now, nice cool running CPU, if you wish to speed things up a bit then buy a SSD!! As i did not see one in your SIG!!

Regards,

AJ.

I say avoid this "upgrade" for now, and see if the next gen is worth the time and money. If I had of had a 2600k, I would have never bought a 3770k, much less any other new processor for at least a few generations. What you have is more than capable for quite some time. Upgrade when you need to, rather than when you want to. This is just my opinion though, so take it as you may.

I'm going to make the switch from amd to intel shortly.
from what i am reading all over the net is if you have a z77 or z87 and are happy, it's time to sit on your hands.

my reason for jumping to intel is the same "itch", even going Z97 and a good cpu I'm not expecting much improvement over my amd rigs, I just want a new toy!!!

I switched from AMD (we're talking Clawhammer!!!) to a Z77, 2500K, but upgraded to a Z87, 3770K because I wanted the Z87 chipset (I also passed my 2500K rig to my son). When the 4790Ks are out, I'll grab one with a Z97 board for a second build that will go into a new white Enthoo Primo. I intend to buy Broadwell later and, perhaps, Haswell-E when it comes out.

The ever-so-slight performance increases are nice, but the "new toy" syndrome is the main motivator. The best part, for me at least, is not having to wonder if some program will run well or not.

I DEF have the itch right now... I'm rocking a P67 ASRock, an i5 2500k Sandy Bridge, and 16GB (4x4GB) of Ripjaw DDR3 1600 from 2011. Before my bottleneck was my GTX 570, but since upgraded to a GTX 780 Classified. I was OCing to 4.7GHz on a Hyper 212+ and 1866 but had to recently revert to stock to troubleshoot my more and more frequent BSOD!

Check out my specs in my sig and let me know what you think. Should I upgrade to the ASRock Z97 OC Formula and build out from there? Maybe some of that TridentX DDR 2133? A shiny new PCI-E SSD could be fun. I'll get to utilize PCI-E 3.0 by ditching my Sandy Bridge, but performance wise do you think it's worth it?

Is assrock good these days? When I think of them I think ecs or pcchips or something equally turdlike.. I know asus owns them but are they as good as asus? Or are they more of a gigabyte type brand with about equal quality?

Only Mobo I've had is the one in the sig, ASRock (one 's' not two). I like it, had to RMA it once for a BIOS issue. They gave me no problems and replaced the board.

Is assrock good these days? When I think of them I think ecs or pcchips or something equally turdlike.. I know asus owns them but are they as good as asus? Or are they more of a gigabyte type brand with about equal quality?

The last two gens the Z77OCF and Z87OCF were arguably the best in the respective platforms.

Personally I think they are every bit as good as the Flagship ROG and Gigabyte OC boards and they are priced very well for the company they keep.

However, not knowing if you are looking for a board that is specifically designed to be hammered it would be difficult to recommend any of these top tier boards.

If you are thinking in terms of ambient cooling one might say these are a bit much for your needs and they would probably be correct. with ambient baring some must have feature benefits of this type of board would be difficult to reap.

Pushing volts and stability while doing so is what really sepreates these boards from the pack.

Oh yes. ASRock has gained huge market share and quickly moved from competing with budget OEM boards like FOXCONN to winning awards over top tier companies like ASUS.

In fact... just today ASRock announced on it's website that the ASRock Z97 Extreme4 is Honored with Tom's Hardware 2014 Approved Award. It beat out ASUS, Gigabyte, ECS, and MSI.

ASRock also received a Tom's Hardware 2012 Recommended Buy Award for their X79 Extreme4 motherboard and also won the Xbit labs 2012 Editor Recommended Award with Z77 Extreme4. Furthermore, ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3, Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 and the mini PC series was awarded three 2011 Taiwan Brand Awards

Overall, ASRock is the world's 3rd largest mobo manufacturer and the No.1 brand according to the Korea motherboard market share analysis in June 2012 (61% market share) and is ranked #2 in Japan.

On a personal note, I absolutley love my ASRock board. The BIOS is great, support is great, and the features stand out to me personally much more than other top manufactures. I took a chance back in 2011 on my first ASRock and never looked back.

1.Asus doesnt own asrock they used to be a partner company and then asrock split away and a chunk of good people from asus jumped ship over to asrock.
2.Asrock has proved itself one of the best boardmakers on the market and their oc formula line is one of the best if not the best platforms on the market. nickshi's influence in their company has had some really good effects esp on the oc formula boards where they have some of his cpu profiles and mem profiles that actually work amazingly.
3.If you OC that 2600K to 4.5Ghz + Then their really is no reason what so ever to upgrade to the haswell cpu's as many of them struggle to break 4.3ghz and usually are much higher temps then a 4.6ghz 2600k @ 4.3 with the haswell chip.

Its up to you really as always If you delid a Haswell chip you can regain some of the difference in temps between sandy (Soldered) and haswell/ivy(Cheap dry bad paste).

The performance differences are negligible in anything like gaming fps ect your only going to see that 10% performance increase is if your doing something cpu intensive and something that takes advantage of all cores and the performance per clock increase.

Keep in mind also if you end up with a poor overclocking CPU that cant break 4.2-4.3Ghz and your 2600K can do 4.7 or so your prob going to see 0 increase in performance perhaps even a loss in perf.

you will gain PCIE-3.0 though and Ability to OC Mem speeds better also the IMC for sandy can only do like max 2133 and usually has a hard time breaking 2000 like my 2500k cant break 1866 lol.

GL with your choices I know when i get the bug to buy i usually spend a lot of $!

I've been on the fence about upgrading also. My current rig still has plenty of horsepower to handle everything I've thrown at it. Still looking around and doing research to see if I really need the upgrade. If not, I'll sit it out again and wait.

I stumbled across this post after googling z77vs z97. I am running a z77 sabertooth w a 2700k oclocked under water along w a 6990 under water w revodrive 3 and 16gb DDR. I will wait it out as much as I want to tinker again, Just saved money:)

Last edited:
Back