• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z87 or Z97...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luke1978

Z87 still a viable platform? Not particularly concerned with skylake and spending a ton to upgrade RAM as well. Can get a really good deal on a very high quality Z87... or is it worth spending more to get a lower "tier" Z97. Most likely placing my order tomorrow....

Z87 Mpower Max AC

Or anything Z97 in the 150$-$200 dollar price range. Say MSI Gaming 5 up to the Asus Maximus VII Hero (although ASUS recent issues with support kind of worry me, seen a lot besides just on here)

Will be paired with a 4690K, and I would like to get back into some serious benchmarking. Didn't think I was worried about it... But I miss my SS Phase days.

I'd just get a Z97 Extreme6. It has carried my 4790K into the 5.2GHz range.
That's on water cooling with winter night ambients (0°C air or so)

If you're looking for an OC centered board, the Z97 SOC Force or Z97 OC Formula are your best bets.
But, unless you're running sub-ambient, you don't need to step up to a board like that.

I got the Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 and i'm very impressed with this board so far. Can't OC on it till tomorrow though....Cooler was on a different order :(

Sub ambient is on the drawing board (phase change at the very least) but will not be till after we move next week. I'm tired of -20°c nights and north carolina is calling my name.

I recommend one NOT use their daily driver as a sub ambient benching machine. I did it for a while and it was a PITA.

Having a hard time turning my back on $110 for such a high quality board, even if the chipset is a generation old though

@ed I did it for over a year on my s939. SS Phase at -54 idle running an Opteron 150 @ 3.5 24/7

If your spending 2 bills, get the z97 OC Formula

Arguably best deal on the z97 platform hands down

If your spending 2 bills, get the z97 OC Formula

Arguably best deal on the z97 platform hands down

Hard to believe but this post wasn't sponsored by ASRock ... again :)

But really it's hard to get better board in this price.
Also if you can find cheap ASRock Z87M OCF on some auction then it will be good option. Gigabyte Z87X OC Force is also good from these older boards and it's about the same board as Z97X-SOC Force but probably won't support next CPUs ( I still think it will be matter of BIOS update but probably locked by Intel ).

Newer CPU (Broadwell/Skylake) support isn't a concern atm. This will be a lasting upgrade.

Not going to lie, despite the advice here (which is all good btw, and appreciated) it wasn't compelling enough to not order the Z87 Mpower MAX AC for $109 brand spanky danky new, along with a 4690K (hopefully the board ships with the newer BIOS that supports the 4690K, if not I'll have to find a cheap CPU to flash it with)

I know the board is serious overkill, but for the price, and the quality I just couldn't pass it up. I didn't see any benefit to spending a hundred dollars more just for SATA M.2 (i.e the Z97 OC Formula) and a newer chipset with very minimal gains over Z87.

If only i had budget constraints, i would go for older chipset. Otherwise, between the two, you should straightaway get z97 or even other very recently released chipset.

Hard to believe but this post wasn't sponsored by ASRock ... again :)

But really it's hard to get better board in this price.
Also if you can find cheap ASRock Z87M OCF on some auction then it will be good option. Gigabyte Z87X OC Force is also good from these older boards and it's about the same board as Z97X-SOC Force but probably won't support next CPUs ( I still think it will be matter of BIOS update but probably locked by Intel ).

You mean about 99% of the regular users for Asrock anything :p

Undefinedgamer my needs outweigh my ego of having the new chipset. Take more than m2 and SATA express to make it worthwhile.

And fwiw budget was last on the list of considerations in my purchase. However value was high...

Performance
Value
Aesthetics
Budget

In that order. I could have easily ordered the Maximus VII Formula, The Z97 Mpower Max or almost any other Z97 board (X99 wasn't in the budget), but to what end and gain in #1 and #2?

Last edited:
Haha, the BIOS that adds support for the 4790K/4690K was released about 8 months ago, should be ok, just like to be prepared, saves on disappointment.

Actually I haven't seen any board which couldn't start with 4690/4790K. The only problems were with G3258 Pentiums or other chips ( i3 with reduced cache or something ) on boards like H81. 4690/4790K are almost the same as 4670/4770K while some other new chips require new microcode. Sometimes were not working some options regarding OC but could at least boot to flash new BIOS.

Back